wake up

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the PDQ Capella.
wake up
1st mate
1st mate

wake up

Post by wake up »

Hi, i bought the 36' pdq wake up from the global marine sale. She had been dismasted and has a small hole on her port bow.
She is my 1st cruising cat though i currently have a hobbie cat and a 30' Hunter.

I intend to replace the yamahas with the 15hp Hondas. 1 yamaha is shot i am going to use the other one for a tender. I had 2 quotes to turnkey the motors for around 8000$. I am going to get the motors installed then move her to texas via the ICW.

The mast broke at about 70% of its length i have to make a decision to repair or replace. I will make these repairs/ replacement in Texas

Any comments or advice appreciated

Post by Guest »

I assume the PDQ you bought was the one from the hurrricane salvage auction in Pensacola. I saw a picture of the boat on the hard, but haven't seen it up close, so how to fix the hole in the bow kinda depends on where the hole is. If it's in the side, then normal hole repair procedures would be appropriate. However, from the picture I saw, it looked like the hole was near the front, top of the bow. If this is the case, you need to carefully consider how the hole affects the strength of the bow structure. Loads are pretty high at that particular point. PDQs are designed to have replaceable bows, so if there's any question about structural integrity, you might conside having the whole bow replaced. PDQ can provide a new bow. A couple of years ago, a PDQ 36 Classic had both of it's bows replaced due to hurricane damage. It's been for sale for a long time.

Contat Rick Zarn in Pensacola about getting your rigging replaced. He's the best in the area, very reasonable, and does excellent work. He recently supplied and installed a new Profurl system for me for less than what I buy just the unit for at West Marine. He can also refer you to a good glassman for fixing your hole. Due to Ivan, Rick's probably pretty busy, but he's worth waiting for. If you have trouble finding him, call Hunter at Schurr Sails in Pensacola, and he can tell you how to get in touch with Rick.

If it were me, I'd get a new mast rather than replacing the old one. In a previous life, I sailed a monohull with a repaired mast and hated it. It eventually demasted again -- broke off clean at the point of repair. Broken masts are repaired by inserting an internal sleeve, and then rivoting the old mast sections to it. The repair adds a lot of weight aloft. Extra weight aloft on a catamaran is a scarey thought when one considers the potential for pitch-poling.

I keep my PDQ in Pedido Bay, the bay just west of Pensacola. Give me a call sometime when you're in the area (205) 394-5512. Hope this helps, Ed
Allezcat
admiral
admiral

Post by Allezcat »

Hi Wake-Up new owner,

Welcome to the PDQ owners. There is a great Owners Assoc you should consider joining. I am the owner that was bidding against you at the auction.

From what I saw, the hole could easily be repaired by a "competent" experienced person. Keep in mind the hull is solid glass below the waterline and cored with Klegecell above. As I recall, the outside of the port hull sustained considerable crushing of the core material also and should be corrected when you get back to Texas.

Make sure those Hondas will fit in the engine wells. They may be too big or not tilt up out of the water. You also need new start switches and wiring.

I agree with the new mast recommendation.

Good Luck,

Chet
Allezcat 36010
wake up
1st mate
1st mate

Post by wake up »

thanks for the info i will call the rigging guy. Should i stay with the same set up or upgrade to the tall mast version ?

The hole was small just below the waterline and not a problem.

I got the idea on the motors from this forum figured the extra 50% hp was worth it. Also i can get the hondas in a couple of weeks couldn't get a delivery time on the yamahas
Ed Ellis
admiral
admiral

Post by Ed Ellis »

If you plan to sail your boat primarily on the Gulf Coast, I'd get the tall rig because the wind is generally light. If you're headed for the trades, the short rig would be my choice.

A friend bought 10 of the salvage sailboats at the auction to repair & sell. He's working on a plan to have several used masts shipped up from south Florida . If you are interested in contacting him, email me and I pass on his name and phone number. Ed
Ed & Linda Ellis
Tranquility
Rich Tanner 36083
1st mate
1st mate

Installing Honda 15's

Post by Rich Tanner 36083 »

Hi, and welcome to the POA.
I bought a Honda 15 for my dink, thinking this would be a good trial to see if I wanted them for the mains. Great engines, but you have to pull the right lower side of the engine off to change the oil filter. I will wait until I pull one of my Yamahas and fit check the Hondas, then let you know what I find.
Rich Tanner, Feral Cat
Lady of the Lake
Site Admin

Post by Lady of the Lake »

I bought TechnoCat, the PDQ 36 that was damaged in the hurricane in Tortola. I am very happy with the repairs and have had no problems so far. You can contact me if you have any questions. Both bows were replaced with factory supplied bows.
Sam and Gina Densler
s/v Lady of the Lake
PDQ36 Hull #15
Punta Gorda, FL