Help with spring setup...please?

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the PDQ Capella.
chicagocat
admiral
admiral

Help with spring setup...please?

Post by chicagocat »

Hi all,

As I mentioned in another thread, I just bought a 1996 36 that's over in Michigan (I'm in Chicago). Already had the survey and next week is the test sail and I'll sail it to Chicago soon after that.

However, the owner seems to be a really busy guy and I can't get much help from him on initial setup (putting on the sails, etc). I know there must be some tricks and tips specific to the PDQ regarding the boom, outhaul, boltrope, etc. Any instructions or help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Brendan
PDQ 36052 - 1996 LRC - "Anne Z" - Chicago
and 2001 PDQ 36 Classic (Tall Rig)- "Cat Tales" - Punta Gorda, FL
Allezcat
admiral
admiral

Post by Allezcat »

Congratulations Brendan and welcome to the PDQ owners. Please join the PDQ Owners Assoc to keep tuned in to whats going on amongst owners.
I'm no authority on bending sails and have probably made most every mistake one can make so here it goes.
First fasten the jib tack with a shackle.
Before fitting the jib in its luff slot, turn the furling drum about 20 turns so you can furl it after bending it on. Ascertain which side of the sail has the UV protection and turn the drum so when the sail is rolled up the protection will be on the outside. Then attach the haylard to the head, feed the luff thru the prefeed ring into the slot in the foil and haul away until the luff is taut. Fit the jib sheets if necessary and furl the sail. The sheets lead thru the jib cars to the winches.
I feed the main foot slides in the boom track with the clew end first, fasten the tack end to the gooseneck, then tension the foot using the outhaul, having fastened it to the clew with a shackle. Then attach the main haylard to the head and feed the slides into the mast track. Insert the battens in the pockets as you raise the sail. Check that the battens are secure in the pockets at the leech. Fasten the reefing lines at the luff and leech as you go. Voila! You're a sailboat!
Do the above in CALM winds!
Chet
Allezcat 36010
chicagocat
admiral
admiral

Now that's what I'm talkin about

Post by chicagocat »

Thanks for the advice. That's exactly the sort of thing I need.
chicagocat
admiral
admiral

Post by chicagocat »

Thanks again.

The setup went pretty well, thanks to the advice from Allezcat.

One question: The halyard tension on the main got very very tough when the sail was a foot or two from the top. Even with 4 wraps on the winch I was having a hell of a time. I decided to leave it there, just because I was worried about breaking something. I know that on Lagoons that I've chartered the pulling gets sort of tough near the end, but this seems even harder. Does this seem normal to you guys?
Thanks.
Brendan
SecondWind
admiral
admiral

Pulling Up

Post by SecondWind »

Check that one of the slugs is not upside-down. Also Dry-Lube Spray helps. Also make sure the mainsheet tension is released, as well as the reefing lines. Any off these can prevent the main from going all the way up.

Terry Green
s/v Second Wind 36040
Sailor

Halyard Issues

Post by Sailor »

When we bought our boat (used), I noticed right away that the main sail was a BEAR to raise.

I went up on deck to look at the sail and noticed right away that 2 sail slides were labelled "dn" in big white letters that were hard to miss.

When I turned them over so that they said "up" it helped 8)

Someone had put them on upside down.

Lubricating the sail track helped some too.

But when I still found it hard to raise, and since I also wanted to replace a cheapo anchor light someone had installed, I pulled the stick and discovered that someone had installed a pull string inside the mast, presumably to be used to pull in a wire someday. The pull string was tied to the top of the mast plate and the end of it was carelessly left dangling inside the top of the mast. As should have been expected, it had wound around the main sheave axle and bound tightly.

I removed it. Problem solved.

8)
chicagocat
admiral
admiral

Post by chicagocat »

Thanks guys,
The slugs seem like a potential culprit, since I had a friend feeding the sail at one point while I pulled the halyard, and he may have forgotten to check. I'll have a look when I get on the boat.
Brendan
Allezcat
admiral
admiral

Post by Allezcat »

Hi Brendan,

Allezcat's main halyard also gets very difficult to raise the last foot of travel. I have traced it to the thick eyesplice in the double braid for the shackle which jams in the small sheave groove at the masthead. Not sure how to solve this other than have the sail cut shorter, which I do not wish to do.

Chet
Allezcat 36010
Kokomo
admiral
admiral

Last foot of the halyard

Post by Kokomo »

My spinnaker halyard also was hard to raise the last foot due to the thick splice. In the end, I replaced the halyard and simply used a bowline for the end. I did secure the end with wipping twine to prevent it from coming un-done.
Roger and Bonnie
Phenix-former-owner
Site Admin

Post by Phenix-former-owner »

Hi Brendan, glad you got the boat safely to Chicago. When you called me last time, I was in Koh Tao Thailand (which would be a wonderful place to have a PDQ!). Now, we have 2 PDQs in the same harbor - maybe a record for Lake Michigan!

I just launched and sailed Phenix back from East Chicago yesterday (in the fog!). I didn't see your boat but visibility was about 200 yards, so I wasn't paying close attention. I'll be glad to come out and give you any assistance or advice (for what that is worth), give me a call (I think you have my number).
chicagocat
admiral
admiral

Thanks

Post by chicagocat »

Kevin,
I sailed from Saugatuck to Michigan City last week, but bad weather on Sunday forced me to leave her there for the week. I'm bringing her back tomorrow, though. I'll be in the south end of Monroe harbor, so look me up, or I'll stop by Dusable soon.
Brendan
Loki
skipper
skipper

Post by Loki »

Allezcat wrote:Hi Brendan,

Allezcat's main halyard also gets very difficult to raise the last foot of travel. I have traced it to the thick eyesplice in the double braid for the shackle which jams in the small sheave groove at the masthead. Not sure how to solve this other than have the sail cut shorter, which I do not wish to do.

Chet
Allezcat 36010
Why have a splice on the halyard? Obviously, its a chance to jam in the sheave, and it makes it impossible to end-for-end it. A better arrangement is a stuns'l tackbend on the shackle. This knot is simply two half hitches tied so that the second hitch is inside of the fist, close to the bight. When tightened, it binds securely and can't work loose, though it can be untied.

Here's a picture:
http://www.wellesley.edu/Athletics/PE/s ... sheet.html
Jeff Morris, Loki 36072
Allezcat
admiral
admiral

Post by Allezcat »

Thanks Jeff,
I'll try the stuns'l tackbend on the halyard!
Chet
Allezcat