DINGHY??

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the PDQ Antares.
eyecatcher
deckhand
deckhand

DINGHY??

Post by eyecatcher »

HEY THERE,

I am the new owner of 4414 and will take delivery in May '06.
I'm in the market for a dink for her and would like to hear from you guys/gals about what you've found to be the best choice.

We all know we need to keep the weight down and we want to stay dry, so forth and so on, so what i NEED is first hand knowledge.

I'm sure this will be the first of many questions and I thank you for your responses and experience in advance.

:?:
donnie
Tanah-Keeta
admiral
admiral

Post by Tanah-Keeta »

I use an AB 290 VL on my PDQ 36 and love it. It weighs 110 lbs and is a RIB. I pumped it up just before leaving for the Bahamas last November and have not added air since. I use a Yamaha 8 but would go for the 15 if I was to do it again.
Ron McDaniel
TK III 34108
Barefeet4409
deckhand
deckhand

Aqua Pro SM

Post by Barefeet4409 »

Hi. I have hull #4409. We have a AqualPro SM 11' aluminum rib. We also have the 15 hp fourstroke (weight is the same as the 9 so if you are going 4 stroke you might as well get the 15). We quite like the set up although it took a while to get the tie down situation under control - the engine will bump against the arch if you are not careful. The 11' still gets you a bit wet if there is any chop - so I would hate to go smaller if you are worried about getting wet. Any larger really won't fit and might be a bit too heavy. The arch is supposed to support 500 lbs, and the dingy is about 100, the engine is about 120, a full gas tank is 40 lbs. That should be within the weight specs of the arch, but we have had some slight cracks around the base of the arch, so again, I wouldn't go any heavier.

Chris
eyecatcher
deckhand
deckhand

Post by eyecatcher »

Thanks for these replies. Ii'll get on the web and check these two out.

donnie
sailors3
deckhand
deckhand

Dinghy

Post by sailors3 »

I'm very interested in this topic. Any other comments out there. We are looing at a 11'8" Nautica that comes with a 25 hp Yamaha. The factory says it will fit but after reading a post I'm a little concerened. Any comments appreciated. Kenny

Post by Guest »

I would be more worried about the weight than the length. It might fit - but a 25 hp is quite heavy. If you could rig up a way to carry the engine apart from the dinghy you would have no problem I am sure - because our 11' rib fits with the 15 hp installed. That makes it a bit longer than just 11 feet. If you want a 25 HP on the rib, plus gas and anything installed on the arch (solar, wind, etc) you will have weight problems.

Chris
sailors3
deckhand
deckhand

Dinghy outboard

Post by sailors3 »

Any comments the pros/cons of a 2 stroke vs 4 stroke engine when buying new? My concerns is that as we have traveled in the Bahamas and Caribbean you seldom see 4 stroke engines. Any concern about service or parts etc in that environment? Seems to me, except for enviromental issues, the 2 stroke might be the way to go.
Looking forward to comments.