Surveyors

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the PDQ Antares.
sailors3
deckhand
deckhand

Surveyors

Post by sailors3 »

Has anyone gone to the expense of having their new boat surveyed, either during production or shortly after? If not, why not? If so, what was the results? Thanks.

Post by Guest »

Yes, I had a survey a month after completion. I could send you the survey if you send an e-mail address. All in all in came out with flying colors, although he suggested a larger bilge pump and some upgraded raw water strainers. I sent the letter to PDQ - although they probably already know what it in it. If you don't know a lot about the modern systems in the 44, a good survey is worth it just for the piece of mind. Someone who is good is probably not cheap - although I am not sure it works the other way around ... !
Dan White
admiral
admiral

Survey

Post by Dan White »

I had one done during production. I highly recommend it.
sailors3
deckhand
deckhand

survey

Post by sailors3 »

Dan, thanks for the response. Who did you use? What did they actually do? How many time did they visit the boat while being made? Did they view the boat after completion? Do you mind telling me the cost?
We would apprecriate anything you have to offer. If you prefer you can contact me directly at sailors3@sbcglobal.net
Thanks, Kenny
Dan White
admiral
admiral

survey

Post by Dan White »

Kenny,
The surveyor I used was Peter McGuire, Fastnet Yacht Surveys, 124 Ninth Street, Toronto, ON, 416-251-9877, email = pmcguire@idirect.com.

He was very responsive, produced a 6 page report that generally confirmed that the boat was being well built. He did identify several issues to be resolved, the most significant of which was the lack of a holding tank monitor. Upon examination, PDQ agreed that, unbeknownst to them, a new code required it. They added one to my boat and supposedly all future boats.

The cost of the survey, in 2003, was $ 474.00

Harley Craig could comment on the surveyor's ability, although I am sure he feels it is unnecessary.

Dan White