Steering Fluid Reservoir

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the MV/32, MV/34, and MV/41.
lgeller
1st mate
1st mate

Steering Fluid Reservoir

Post by lgeller »

Does anyone know where the steering fluid reservoir is located? We are (finally) about done with the engine replacement on PLUSH TOY and my mechanic wants to check it out before we leave the dock.

Thanks.
Ross Bowling
admiral
admiral

Re: Steering Fluid Reservoir

Post by Ross Bowling »

My understanding is that there is simply fluid in the line, no major reservoir. Be sure to fill it from the flybridge helm.
Ross Bowling
AMCarter3
admiral
admiral

Post by AMCarter3 »

That's my understanding too. We had an issue with a leak in the line at the lower helm last year. Our service tech repaired the leak at the lower helm and filled the reservoir at the upper helm.
Mac Carter
2006 34' PDQ PowerCat "All Heart"; MV 98; twin 100 HP Yanmars
Home Port: Bellingham WA 98229
lgeller
1st mate
1st mate

Post by lgeller »

Thank you.
Gusto
skipper
skipper

Post by Gusto »

There isn't really a tank type reservoir. The upper helm acts as the reservoir. I simply remove the "nut" on the top on the top of the steering helm unit and look inside. If I can see the gear mechanism, I add a bit of oil using a very small funnel. I seem to have to do this several times a year.

Bob MacNeill
Gusto, 2006 34 #83
Tom Green
skipper
skipper

Post by Tom Green »

If you are having to fill the reservoir at the top regularly, I would be suspicious of a leak somewhere. Mine was as the stern equalizer valve used for aligning the rudders. On simply tightening the fitting, no more leak and I have not had to add fluid for some time now. I also am not aware of any separate reservoir.
Tom & Nanci Green
Diastole
MV3499