window coverings

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the MV/32, MV/34, and MV/41.
bob jones
deckhand
deckhand

window coverings

Post by bob jones »

I am considering buying exterior window covers for my PDQ 34. I need to decide which type of material to get. It seems, after talking to the canvas guy, that my options boil down to a Pacific Blue from Sunshade which essentially is a total block of the sun or a white material (can't remember the brand) which blocks 65% of the sunlight, but also allows some ability to see out from the salon when they are on.

Any advice?
duetto
admiral
admiral

Post by duetto »

hi bob,

this is the end of our first full year in fl & bahamas. go for the 65% solution. it keeps you in touch yet still cuts the sun & heat a lot. i think full canvas would be like a cave if you're inside.
john & diane cummings
duetto mv34 #23
Mishigas
admiral
admiral

Post by Mishigas »

Bob, I agree with the "let some light in" solution if window covers is what you seek. I went about this from the inside with snap on fabric shades that are lined to filter out much of the sun but still filters in some light. We just unsnap the bottom and sides and roll it up from inside the boat. This method does not protect the glass from droppings, etc... But it acts as a shade that we can adjust from inside the boat and offers the Admiral the designer color and style she wanted. Win/Win
Sandy Kramer PC34 "MISHIGAS" Hull 68
Leadfree
1st mate
1st mate

Window Coverings

Post by Leadfree »

I had drapes installed when we purchased the MV and they had some real advantages but the pins in the pleats kept corroding. This last year, I purchased miniblinds from Sears and installed them. They allow for sun blocking but light in and visiblity out. When closed tight, they make a tremendous difference in the amount of heat that gets into the boat. The only drawback so far is when driving from the inside, one cannot get any protection from the blinds. Larry used to be able to draw one half of the drape across the driver's side and get some shade.
Sharon of Lead Free Too
Stray Cat
1st mate
1st mate

Window coverings / shades

Post by Stray Cat »

I strongly urge you to try an awning like shade mounted almost horizontally just above the windows, instead of the more customary vertical window covers, curtains, or blinds, particularly those mounted inside the windows. I don't want the heat from the absorbed sunlight inside the cabin at all, so I am not considering curtains or blinds in the traditional inside position.

You can use an entirely opaque material, which is attached to the inboard handrail and on the outboard edge is tied to or just hung over the outboard handrail. Our first experiments were tying bath towels tyed between the rails with parachute cord, now I am using cheapo plastic roll down patio blinds and even the Admiral is pleased with the way the A/C is now able to keep up on the sunniest days. I have a telescoping painters pole tyed between the handrails about three feet forward of the cabin and am draping a couple of six foot cheapo blinds over this for the forward windows. I notched a wood plank as a crutch to support the middle of this pole and the rig works beautifully. Doesn't look too bad either, although the final design will use a stainless pole and stanchion of some sort.

When deployed these provide unobstructed visibility and plenty of indirect light, but they completely shade not only the window and interior, but the deck outside the window as well. The boat stays much cooler.

By using a solid (not perforated) material I will be able to deploy them all winter and keep rain/dirt off the outside of the windows and much of the deck too.

I hope to be able to design a roll-up version kinda like the old style pull-down window shade which will permanently store in the space behind the valance just above the outside of the front and side main cabin windows.

I expect to end up with either a Sunbrella sort of fabric or perhaps a vinyl like the commerical building awnings. I need a white surface outside and perhaps a black inner surface, to further reduce indirect sunlight in the cabin. By using Velcro straps or elastic mounted flat hooks to hook to the outer handrail I hope to be able to make shades that could easilly be unhooked if someone wanted to go forward on deck.

I have successfully cruised with the towels and with the cheapo shades deployed, and expect the final design to be very useful there as well. Of course when cruising in really stormy weather, where they might be damaged, I will just have to do without sunshades!

I'll keep you all posted..

Captain Gary and Admiral Candy in Stray Cat, MV34-12
Candy Chapman and Gary Bell in Stray Cat, MV34 hull 12
Gadzooks!
skipper
skipper

shades

Post by Gadzooks! »

We have the 65% stuff for the three windshield exterior panels. We find it very satisfactory. Each panel has a separate shade, fastened with four snap fasteners. I think they were about $200. The shade does not interfere with opening the center panel.

Inside, to port and starboard, we have a horizontally pleated shade that accordians up. When up, it is mostly hidden behind the valences. The shades cover all the windows except for small triangle at the forward end. You pull down the first section for shade with transparency, the continue with the second section if you want complete opacity. They are also installed on the port aft window which has no valence. They are available in multiple colors. I think they were developed primarily for the RV industry. They are standard options on Nordic Tugs these days. The shades are custom cut at the factory. The full set was about $500. I installed them myself. It necessitated re-installing the wood strips that hold up the valences, as they were not level.
Mebs and Wally Gilliam
Gadzooks! MV34 #33