Transmission Filter Housing Cover

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the MV/32, MV/34, and MV/41.
Rejoice
1st mate
1st mate

Transmission Filter Housing Cover

Post by Rejoice »

We were running back from a local anchorage about 15 miles upstream when we lost thrust from the port engine. Were able to finish the trip on one engine although the boat would not easily turn away from the down engine.

Inspection back at the dock showed that the cover of the transmission filter housing had come off, allowing all the transmission fluid to splash out. In trying to determine why this happened I came to the conclusion that I had not properly tightened the cover's bolt. The ZH Herth manual says to tighten to 4-6 foot pounds. Not having a torque wrench, I guessed at the appropriate tightness when changing the filter last fall. Apparently guessed wrong.

At any rate, this led to a search for a torque wrench that could be used in the engine room as well as one that would read as low as 4-6 foot pounds accurately. Most automotive torque wrenches either don't read that low or their calibration markings aren't accurate enough.

Finally found a suitable model at Sears for about $80. Reads from 5 to 40 pounds. Added a $5.00 3/8" socket with a 6 mm allen wrench at the end, and it looks as though I'm back in business.

Don't know what my "learning experience" is going to cost me, but if anyone is interested, I'll be happy to let you know.
Anne & Dave Mensel
Rejoice
PDQ MV/34-51
Nashville, TN