Sliding Window Pull Handle

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the MV/32, MV/34, and MV/41.
Moonstruck
deckhand
deckhand

Sliding Window Pull Handle

Post by Moonstruck »

Anyone know where I can find a replacement for the slding window plastic pull handle that snapped off? Dick Tuschick said windows are from Bomar Canada. Neither Dick nor I can find anything on internet or from Bomar in US. Moonstruck hull 64.
Ross Bowling
admiral
admiral

Re: Sliding Window Pull Handle

Post by Ross Bowling »

I was under the impression that the windows were from Seaglaze in B.C.

Good luck!
Ross Bowling
James Power
admiral
admiral

Post by James Power »

The early mv's had bomon windows. They were replaced with bomar and then diamond seaglaze at the end. If you look in the corner of the window there should be a manufacturer sticker. I think moonstruck has bomars. Try calling their warranty department, mention its on a pdq and send a picture of the window and handle. This should jog their memory because I think they were custom made for pdq and probably not in their catalogue. Good luck , james.
Moonstruck
deckhand
deckhand

Post by Moonstruck »

Windows on my PDQ were supplied through Bomar were made by their custom wondow affiliate Aluminum 2000 in Pennsylvania (Bomar and Aluminum 2000 are divisions of Pompanette). I am in contact with them hoping to get a replacement handle soon. Moonstruck MV34 # 64.
Katlin
1st mate
1st mate

Post by Katlin »

I've found the forum is great for sharing prior owners resesarch on common problems and hope the trend continues: I have broken the plastic handle on my starboard salon sliding window and see that Moonstruck had the same issue a couple of years ago. Can anyone help point me to the appropriate vendor (Bomar in NH?) for a replacement? Any tips on how much disassembly it took to install the replacement? Thanks.

John Sawyer
Katlin
MV34/076
Katlin
1st mate
1st mate

Post by Katlin »

With lots of help from the folks at Bomar, I've found the handle. The PDQ main salon sliders (at least for my 2005 MV) were manufactured by the Aluminum2000 Division of Bomar now Pompanette. The replacement handle is Bomar part number 40-2158 at $2.70 each and can be ordered from Bomar Customer Service 603-826-5791. My thanks to Dennis Makibbin in the engineering group of Aluminum2000 group for identifying the window and handle. His contact information is dmakibbin@aluminum2000.com phone 717-715-6900.
John Sawyer
Katlin MV34/076
Mary & Roger
admiral
admiral

Post by Mary & Roger »

Thanks, the Bomar part #, and the price was just as you said!!! The folks were really nice, but I don't think they are still making them any more.
Now that I have them in hand, how do you install them? Looks like the window will have to be removed!! Hope not, any help will be appreciated. Roger on Teamwork
rkimble
1st mate
1st mate

Post by rkimble »

Thanks. I need to get one also (probably buy a spare or 2).
Russ and Nancy Kimble
All That Jazz
MV34 #79
Fort Myers, FL
Mary & Roger
admiral
admiral

Post by Mary & Roger »

Has anybody changed the sliding window pull handle? It looks to me that the window may have to come out. Please say it ain't so !!! Roger on Teamwork
rkimble
1st mate
1st mate

Post by rkimble »

I'm looking at it and it seems that it will require pulling the window. Ugh!
Russ and Nancy Kimble
All That Jazz
MV34 #79
Fort Myers, FL
Semi-Local
skipper
skipper

Post by Semi-Local »

I know that the previous owner (Steve Trow) replaced at least one of these. He was active on the Forum before but he's gone on to Manta-land ... but I will email him to see if he will participate in this thread.
Mark & Diana Doyle
Semi-Local
PDQ MV 34 Hull 88, formerly PDQ 36 Capella Hull 36090

On the Water ChartGuides Cruising Guides & Electronic Charts
www.OnTheWaterChartGuides.com
James Power
admiral
admiral

Post by James Power »

Hey All,

To swap out the plastic handle you do have to remove the glass, but not the window frame. To start, from on deck, slide the aft glass panel forward and look up at the top plastic u tracks that the glass slides in. The u tracks can be pried and pulled out of the aluminum window frame. This allows more clearance at the top so the glass panels can be lifted up enough so the bottom edge clears the aluminum frame, and swung out. The old handle has a small pin holding it in place that has to be pulled out and removed before the handle can be slid off the aluminun frame. A small pair of Vise grips works well for this. Then slide on the new handle, gently tap in the pin, replace the glass, slide the u track back in, and admire a job well done !

Hope this helps.

James
Mary & Roger
admiral
admiral

Post by Mary & Roger »

James, thanks so much, I was dreading removing a window that doesn't leak. James to the rescue again!!!
are you going to make it to the Islands this year? Roger on Teamwork
Semi-Local
skipper
skipper

Post by Semi-Local »

Didn't want folks to think we'd dropped the ball or that Steve didn't respond.

We just heard back from Steve and his comments mirror what James said.

Best, Mark
Mark & Diana Doyle
Semi-Local
PDQ MV 34 Hull 88, formerly PDQ 36 Capella Hull 36090

On the Water ChartGuides Cruising Guides & Electronic Charts
www.OnTheWaterChartGuides.com
Mary & Roger
admiral
admiral

Post by Mary & Roger »

Thanks all,It worked well, 20 min. job!!! Roger