Forward Compartment Access

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the MV/32, MV/34, and MV/41.
Tom Green
skipper
skipper

Forward Compartment Access

Post by Tom Green »

I would be interested to know what ways people have developed to get down into and back out of the forward compartments in each hull and to get things in and out easily. The distance from the deck to the bottom makes it rather difficult and there are no natural steps or structures to help.

Tom Green
Mishigas
admiral
admiral

Re: Forward Compartment Access

Post by Mishigas »

Tom, it can be challanging to get "down" to the bottom of the compartment. I have a small folding plastic step at the bottom and use the existing shelf as a step down. I have also seen another PDQ with glassed in steps that were installed by the factory. Try the folding steps, I think rubbermaid makes them. Sandy Kramer MV34 "MISHIGAS" Hull 68
Ross Bowling
admiral
admiral

Post by Ross Bowling »

Tom

I am a big guy and am able to drop myself into the starboard locker with out much of a problem. Coming out I use the shelf as a assist with one of my feet and raise myself up. I thnk that once you do it a few times, you will find it not to difficult. On our trip down the East Coast we stored luggage and the fender boards in the locker. Some of the crew used a boat hook to reach down and pull items up as well. I have found that fender storage works well also. We tail the end of the line around the pistons that hold the hatch top up when it is open. When we need a fender, we just open the hatch, grab one of the lines and pull the fender up.

Good luck, and as a Ortho Doc, you don't have to worry if you blow out your ACL pulling yourself out of the locker ;-)

Ross Bowling
Ross Bowling
Leadfree
1st mate
1st mate

Post by Leadfree »

Hi there. We had a set of hooks one can purchase at West Marine installed on each side, just below the hatch on the starboard side of the front locker. I use this for lines and fender lines, the power cord holder and hoses. I can drop into the locker and use the "Quick Step" with snaps on both sides to get out. I attach the snaps to one of the hooks and it is always there and I can use the rest of the hook for other items.
Sharon of Lead Free Too