MV 41 Davit Replacement

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the MV/32, MV/34, and MV/41.
Milky Way
deckhand
deckhand

MV 41 Davit Replacement

Post by Milky Way »

I replaced the factory installed davits with the one and only seat/davit much like on the MV 34. This should solve the structural problems. It is extremely strong, good looking and practical. Armin Quickert MV 41/09.
Lady of the Lake
Site Admin

Re: MV 41 Davit Replacement

Post by Lady of the Lake »

Post a picture!

Sam
Sam and Gina Densler
s/v Lady of the Lake
PDQ36 Hull #15
Punta Gorda, FL
S Slater
deckhand
deckhand

Post by S Slater »

I am glad that the davit found it's rightful home. These were avaialble from day one and in my opinion far stronger. I believeI found out why the davits were failing. When used to lift a dinghy that is completely free and clear from the bridge deck the dinghy has no opportunity to develop extra loading on the davits. Notice I say load and not weight. The dinghy could have weighed 5 pounds but if it was impeded by the bridgedeck it would rapidly develop much greater loads. As I recall lifting tackle had a 5:1 with 70-80 pounds of pull? it is easy to see whwere the flaw is. The davits are rated for 150 pounds. When we add the use of the electric warping winch, which can develop upwards of 200 pounds of lift you can see that we were developing over 1000 pounds of load. Not brilliant engineering on our part but if one is careful when lifting to keep the dinghy clear I beleieve that the Edson davits can be servicable.

How tough was the unit to instal, we never actual installed one. By the way somewhere out there, there is another one of these units.
Simon
James Power
admiral
admiral

Post by James Power »

I know of two 41's that had davit problems. In both cases the davit fasteners pulled thru the deck. The thickness of the glass in the mount area seems to be a little on the thin side and inconsistant from one boat to another. Dick Tuschick had some new mounting plates fabricated that transfers some of the load to the forward face.
megamarine41
deckhand
deckhand

Post by megamarine41 »

I have recently purchased a used m/v PDQ 41 hull #5.

I have already noticed failing of the davit mounts. do you know where I can obtain the davits found on "milky way"

These davits have the seat as on the MV 34-- they also appear to be better supported and are more robust.

kent on Megamarine
DanRankin
deckhand
deckhand

Post by DanRankin »

As far as I know, I test fit the first and only set of Bench Davits on the PDQ 41, if anyone is interested in upgrading their system to a more robust and workable system, they should contact Metaux Produit in Gran Mere Quebec. They are the original suppliers of the system to PDQ.
megamarine41
deckhand
deckhand

Post by megamarine41 »

Yes Metaux Produit in Grand Mere Quebec can make the davits for the MV-41 in the seat bench configuration and have all the specs. In fact they told me they did all the metal work for PDQ and can do any repair or replacement of steel for PDQ boats as they have all specifications.
They do not do the starboard seats however. I will have to make these. Any ideas? kent macleod