Anchoring/Mooring Bridal

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the MV/32, MV/34, and MV/41.
Tom Green
skipper
skipper

Anchoring/Mooring Bridal

Post by Tom Green »

Any rule of thumb on how long to make an anchoring/mooring bridal for the PDQ 34?
Tom & Nanci Green
Diastole
MV3499
duetto
admiral
admiral

Re: Anchoring/Mooring Bridal

Post by duetto »

hi tom,

i made up a 40' bridle. we adjust it to suit the swing room. we use a rolling hitch to secure to the rode.
john & diane cummings
duetto mv34 #23
Moonstruck
deckhand
deckhand

Post by Moonstruck »

I use a 16ft bridal. If too long you can reduce the effectiveness and boat will "sail" more. Rather than using a rolling hitch, I use a stainless ring and shakles per attached photo.
Quick connect bridal
Quick connect bridal
Anchor bridal.jpg (107.67 KiB) Viewed 15540 times
Tom Green
skipper
skipper

Post by Tom Green »

Thank you so much for your helpful replies and also for taking the time to include a photo. It is much appreciated.

Tom Green
Loki
skipper
skipper

Post by Loki »

Moonstruck wrote:I use a 16ft bridal. If too long you can reduce the effectiveness and boat will "sail" more. Rather than using a rolling hitch, I use a stainless ring and shakles per attached photo.
Forgive my ignorance; how is this bridal used? I'm guessing the two lines with hooks attach to the bow cleats, so is the line with the girth hitch on the ring the actual anchor rode?

I have a 36 with the windlass on the starboard bow. I bridal by tying dockline to the rode with a rolling hitch and cleating to the port bow.
Jeff Morris, Loki 36072
Knotty Cat
1st mate
1st mate

Post by Knotty Cat »

I have a PDQ32 sailboat which I moor in a tidal river. I started with 16' pennants but found in a wind against tide condition the mooring lines would wrap around the chain on the mooring ball and were starting to fray. I changed the attachment point from under the ball to above and reduced line length to 12'. This always keeps the ball inside the hulls and has kept the lines from wrapping around the chain. However in a strong wind when the ball goes between the hulls the taut mooring chain rubs on the side of the hull and the forward face of the keels. I have put a piece of hose over the chain where I could and have put pieces of Keelguard on the hulls where the chain rubs. This has stopped most damage except for the face of one keel. I think the swivel on the chain which I can't cover is the culprit. I've also removed the forward part of the windshield to try to reduce the windage.
halfmoon
1st mate
1st mate

Post by halfmoon »

Why bridle? Admittedly, I have a 36, but have not observed marked sailing at anchor off one bow. Quartering the waves is a more comfortable ride when underway, why not while at anchor?
Alex Kehayes
Alex Kehayes
Edenton, NC
Moonstruck
deckhand
deckhand

Post by Moonstruck »

RE Pictured anchor bridal: The lines with shackles go to the bow cleats. The line on the ring is the anchor rode. As to anchoring on one hull, this did not work well for me probably because the Powercat has a lot more windage than the 36 and may "sail" more at anchor. Also with the windlass on the centerline retrival is a lot easier. The 16ft bridal has worked well at anchor in winds to 35 knots and it keeps the rode well forward of the hulls. I have not used it at a mooring for more than a few hours at a time on the reefs in the Florida Keys.
Loki
skipper
skipper

Post by Loki »

Moonstruck wrote:RE Pictured anchor bridal: The lines with shackles go to the bow cleats. The line on the ring is the anchor rode. As to anchoring on one hull, this did not work well for me probably because the Powercat has a lot more windage than the 36 and may "sail" more at anchor. Also with the windlass on the centerline retrival is a lot easier. The 16ft bridal has worked well at anchor in winds to 35 knots and it keeps the rode well forward of the hulls. I have not used it at a mooring for more than a few hours at a time on the reefs in the Florida Keys.
Yes, using both hulls is a big advantage. In addition to moving the pivot point out in front, it greatly reduces the chafe on the bow. As for the windlass on the centerline, as opposed to one bow, I've wondered if there's actually an advantage, other than weight distribution, as I've never had a problem on the 36. In fact, I like the fact the my second anchor is ready to deploy on the other bow. (But this is a separate discussion, hypothetical because its not easy to change the original design of a boat.)

I was curious about the ring used on the bridal - Does that take the entire load? Would you be concerned under heavy load that this would become a weak point, both from line chafe and ring failure?
Jeff Morris, Loki 36072
Bob
admiral
admiral

Post by Bob »

I have 5/16HT chain and use a bridle consisting of 2- 7/16" 3-strand lines about 16' long. Had a few 30 kt nights and had no problems.
Bob Johnson
Hull 36045
Peace
Moonstruck
deckhand
deckhand

Post by Moonstruck »

RE: Mooring Bridal: I have had no trouble with the stainless steel ring chaffing the line. The ring is 5/16" stainless with a Breaking Strenth of more than 6000#. The 1/2" anchor line 6800# BS, the snap hooks BS is 3300# each. The entire load is carried by the bridal, the anchor line is slacked between the ring and windlass. For saftey purposes the winch end of the slacked line is cleated on deck. I have never had a case where the line has slipped and become taught after anchoring for an extended time in a variety of conditions and seas.