water pump removal

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the MV/32, MV/34, and MV/41.
duetto
admiral
admiral

water pump removal

Post by duetto »

hi all,

has anyone removed the raw water pump from either a 75 or 100 hp yanmar? i've been told by yanmar that i have to remove the engine mount. my question is, how did you support the engine minus the mount? i can see a spanish windlass is possible to the fiberglas i-beam above the engine or possibly wedges under the crankshaft, or a combination of the 2. any other thoughts?
john & diane cummings
duetto mv34 #23
Sno' Dog
skipper
skipper

Re: water pump removal

Post by Sno' Dog »

It's hard to believe they built it that way! I learned of it this winter at the Mastry diesel workshop - where they were offering to sell aftermarket engine brakets that would allow for the pump removal. When I inquired as to how people did it without the new bracket, Tino (Mastry) said, "Oh you can just stick a wedge under there". He added that he though the engine would rest OK temporarily on the remaining three mounts. As I remember, nobody at our workshop bought any new brackets, I believe were offered at something over $100 apiece! (You can check their website at: http://www.mastry.com)

Good luck,
Henry
http://www.snodoglog.com
Tanah-Keeta
admiral
admiral

Post by Tanah-Keeta »

I learned about this at the Mack Boring class. Their instructions were to lever the engine up to just take off the load on the front mounts. Place a block under the engine to hold it there. Mark the motor mount base by drawing a line around it (on the fiberglass) so you can replace it exactly. Do not remove the motor mount bolt. Do remove the bolts holding it to the bed and then remove the entire mount from the engine. I did it easily in the classroom but after looking at the mount in my boat, I hope I never have to do it.
Ron McDaniel
TK III 34108
Stray Cat
1st mate
1st mate

Post by Stray Cat »

We are just finishing several major upgrades on Stray Cat (MV34-012) and we had a heck of a time replacing the raw water impellers, particularly on the port side engine. The yard owner, who is also the Yanmar rep. is checking out mounting a separate pump, facing forward, where the second alternator might go. This would use the additional pulley wheel, second belt and a simple bracket much like the alternator's. The original pumps would loose their impellers and new hoses would complete the task. With fresh impellers today, the change will be implemented in a couple of hundred more engine hours, I'll post the results.

Gary Bell, Captain & Candy Chapman, Admiral
Stray Cat
Candy Chapman and Gary Bell in Stray Cat, MV34 hull 12
duetto
admiral
admiral

Post by duetto »

hi guys,

pictures plz when you get it running!
john & diane cummings
duetto mv34 #23
Mary & Roger
admiral
admiral

Post by Mary & Roger »

Roger & Mary on Teamwork, hull #62 would like to hear how that goes for you. I have seen a pump mounted on the front of the crankshaft, it worked well on one of my gas powered boats. they may be made for GM??? pump about $75-100.
Stray Cat
1st mate
1st mate

Post by Stray Cat »

I think the GM crankshaft mounted pump is a centrifugal pump,used to circulate the closed system antifreeze coolant, and it cannot self prime. The seawater inlet line has to go over an anti-siphon loop to prevent a leaking hose sinking the boat, and the seawater pump has to be after that loop, so only a vane type self priming pump will do the job. I intend to find an equivalent capacity vane type pump with a pulley wheel drive, and simply rig up a plate and/or lever mount to line it up with the auxiliary crankshaft pulley the factory already offers. As I said earlier, I just changed out the impellers on the #$% factory pump, and therefore I have a couple of hundred engine hours before I will need a solution to the issue.
Candy Chapman and Gary Bell in Stray Cat, MV34 hull 12
Mary & Roger
admiral
admiral

Post by Mary & Roger »

Stray Cat, I am about to change my raw water impellers, and would really like to know if you have heard anything from your Yanmar dealer. Mine said he would inquire around and see what is out there. He mentioned a front pully attatched pump, if the bolt pattern matched. I think an adapter plate could be made easy enough.

Lets here from those engineers out there!!!

Roger & Mary teamwork@atmc.net
Mary & Roger
admiral
admiral

Post by Mary & Roger »

Just replaced the impellers, and only had to remove the altenator, not the motor mounts. It wasn't as bad as it sounded like it would be. They both looked and felt O.K. after 835 hrs. Water flow didn't look like it changed. Injectors were a mess at this amount of hours. 1 out of 8 tested good. I can't tell the differance now, but should when we run a couple of tanks in november, and do the math. I Still want an alternate placement for the water pump, this one is crazy!!!