Generator Installation

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the MV/32, MV/34, and MV/41.
Tom Green
skipper
skipper

Generator Installation

Post by Tom Green »

We are looking into putting a genset PDQ 34 MV 99 which did not have one installed at the factory. Is there any special reinforcing necessary to in stall one in the usual location in the port hull forward? I think that the factory installation involved a custom housing and sound proofing that may have provided needed support. If one installs a genset with it's own sound proof enclosure, I wondering if the existing structure is adequate to support the generator?
Tom & Nanci Green
Diastole
MV3499
duetto
admiral
admiral

Re: Generator Installation

Post by duetto »

hi tom,

have you decided which type/model you'll be installing? we have an older one and the floor is reinforced with 1/2" or 3/4" ply.
john & diane cummings
duetto mv34 #23
Leadfree
1st mate
1st mate

Post by Leadfree »

Hi there. We have lived on our MV for 5 years and realized we would NOT have had a generator put on if we had known better. Have you considered a Honda 2000 instead? Think about the weight, cost and efficiency of a genset compared to the Honda. We would have built a space in the back, high or low enough that the fumes wouldn't get inside. At least for us, that would have been enough. We had one on our PDQ 32 and found it did the job.
Sharon of Lead Free Too
duetto
admiral
admiral

Post by duetto »

tom doesn't mention whether or not he has a/c. if he does, i don't think a honda 2000 will start a/c in the main salon while on an anchor.

if you don't have a/c or don't care about running it while anchored out then the 2000 is one alternative. we had one when we had our gemini 105.
john & diane cummings
duetto mv34 #23
Lady of the Lake
Site Admin

Post by Lady of the Lake »

The Honda EU2000 starts and runs my 16000 BTU OceanBreeze unit. Barely handles the inrush current but once running, keeps on going.
Sam and Gina Densler
s/v Lady of the Lake
PDQ36 Hull #15
Punta Gorda, FL
Leadfree
1st mate
1st mate

Post by Leadfree »

One of the things we do is start the fan first without heat or cool and once that is going, add the heat or cool. Larry has also adjust the timing for the relay for the compressor so that it starts after everything else is runing, cutting down on the current surge.
Sharon of Lead Free Too
Lady of the Lake
Site Admin

Post by Lady of the Lake »

Starting up the pump independently might also be a good idea.
Sam and Gina Densler
s/v Lady of the Lake
PDQ36 Hull #15
Punta Gorda, FL
Tom Green
skipper
skipper

Post by Tom Green »

Thanks for the feedback.

We are in the northwest and have no need for air conditioning. We have a diesel heater that consumes very little energy. We want the generator for extended cruising in the San Juan Islands and inside passage. We had not thought about the Honda but were planning on putting in a Northern Lights Genset. That was the usual factory installation and Northern Lights is right here in Seattle with parts and service readily available. They are highly regarded by those around here as well.

I hadn't considered any other location and am not sure how it would fit else where. I am assuming that the forward hull structure is sufficient to support such an installation as it is without reinforcement.
Tom & Nanci Green
Diastole
MV3499