wiring chase

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the MV/32, MV/34, and MV/41.
duetto
admiral
admiral

wiring chase

Post by duetto »

hi all,

does anyone know if the wiring chases that connect the flybridge with the salon are one piece top to bottom or is there a break in the center? i need to run some speaker wire from just above the windows down to the cross salon chases and would like to come in from just below roof level.
john & diane cummings
duetto mv34 #23
Moonstruck
deckhand
deckhand

Re: wiring chase

Post by Moonstruck »

On my boat, #64, the chase from the flybridge ends near where it intersects with cabin ceiling. The wiring from above then turns 90 degrees to the electrical panel enclosure. Mine may not be the same due to the fiberglass liner.
Moonsturck
# 64
Tanah-Keeta
admiral
admiral

Post by Tanah-Keeta »

I have hull #108. My subpanel that has switches for the gps, vhf, nav lights, etc is on the starboard side of the inside steering station just above the side window. I removed that entire panel to run some wire for my sat phone. You can see the chase that goes down to the main wiring center and with luck you might get a fish wire down it. I tried but couldn't... it is fairly full.

If you don't have this arrangement, you should have a small access hole that is covered by the door facia (upper right top) next to the electrical panel. This would allow you to see the 90 degree area Moonstruck talks about. I tried unsuccessfully to run a 110 volt wire to behind the piano bar seat on the port side. The port side has the same access.
Ron McDaniel
TK III 34108
DanRankin
deckhand
deckhand

Post by DanRankin »

Depending on the year of your MV, there are different wire chases up to the flybridge.....I will take the blame for it, I designed the different chases and the electrical runs from MV5 to the final MV I am wiring right now for ED. In most of the MV's if you go into each aft cabin you either need to lower the forward headliner to access the chase or you can remove a small meld fabric chase cover. The one thing that I recommend doing when running wire up the stbd side is make sure the shore inlets are unplugged, as you are running wires past a live 110vac connection and it may get hung up. If you have any questions I think I still have all the drawings for the MV as well.
I was actually the MV Line Leader for 3 years as well as the electrical layout designer for the MV41 ..........Dan
DanRankin
deckhand
deckhand

Post by DanRankin »

Tanah-Keeta wrote:I have hull #108. My subpanel that has switches for the gps, vhf, nav lights, etc is on the starboard side of the inside steering station just above the side window. I removed that entire panel to run some wire for my sat phone. You can see the chase that goes down to the main wiring center and with luck you might get a fish wire down it. I tried but couldn't... it is fairly full.

If you don't have this arrangement, you should have a small access hole that is covered by the door facia (upper right top) next to the electrical panel. This would allow you to see the 90 degree area Moonstruck talks about. I tried unsuccessfully to run a 110 volt wire to behind the piano bar seat on the port side. The port side has the same access.
I have done this numerous times....you stick your tongue out and twist it the right way and the air turns blue.....but it can be done..... To get a wire 110vac wire to the helm seat shelf and or the Piano bar shelf is a bit of a task.....there is a pocket in there to run the wire but you have to dodge around spacers which are re enforcing the 1/4" plywood backer that the meld fabric is glued to. If you cut your hole for the 110vac outlet and fish from that point to the opening at the cabin door you should be able to get it. The best fish I have ever used was a piece of lifeline......it is rigid but you can still flex it around corners quite easily..........Dan
Tanah-Keeta
admiral
admiral

Post by Tanah-Keeta »

Dan,
Thanks for the advice. I wore myself out trying to fish the other way... even scared myself when I realised the hole I drilled in the door facia caused the hole saw to come within millimeters of the hydraulic steering lines.... I gave my wife a flash light to use instead of the reading light I was going to install...
Ron McDaniel
TK III 34108