Time for new House Batteries

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the MV/32, MV/34, and MV/41.
Mishigas
admiral
admiral

Time for new House Batteries

Post by Mishigas »

My house bank is reaching 5 years and I don't want to tempt fate. Here is what I have on board originally installed by PDQ. Four US. Batteries # PS2200 Series 1200, Rating says 225 A/H and it also says Rating 115 RC. :?: I am not too up on battery technology but I know that my Xantrex Inverter Charger has worked well with these batteries so I'm not interested in major changes. I am looking for comments on brands, models and sugestions. Thanks and "Come On Spring". Sandy K. "MISHIGAS" MV34 Hull 68
Tanah-Keeta
admiral
admiral

Re: Time for new House Batteries

Post by Tanah-Keeta »

Hi Sandy,
If you want to replace them with the same thing, go to Sams or Costco. About $50.

If you want to look further, go to the Trojan Battery site and enter golf cart, then look at the specification guide...
It shows a lot of choices... you can upgrade to 240 ah with just a little taller battery... which should not be a problem.. be sure to check the terminal type to be sure that it will work.

Expect to pay about $75 or more from a Trojan dealer like Batteries Plus...
There are only a couple of battery manufacturers... just branding...

Ron
Ron McDaniel
TK III 34108
duetto
admiral
admiral

Post by duetto »

hi sandy,

when we bought our boat in 2005 the original trojans were "toast". we replaced them with exide 3600s (180 ah) from sams for about $65. we made three round trips to fl-bahamas-ct with lots of anchoring. we decided to replace this year because batteries in bahamas are very expensive. we went back to trojan t-105 which is a 225 ah battery. to get more than 225 ah you have to start paying a lot more money. also, ron is absolutely right on the terminal type issue....we didn't get the optimal one.
john & diane cummings
duetto mv34 #23
Stray Cat
1st mate
1st mate

Post by Stray Cat »

Stray Cat is just completing several major upgrades, including the entire DC system. The original ProSine inverter/charger failed some time ago, and we were exceptionally put off by the Xantrex response. We bought a Victron Phoenix MultiPlus on nearly universal recommendation, and for it's great features. Meantime we had charged the two meager golf cart batteries with a little 20 amp three stage charger meant for trolling motor batteries, and over a fair time we expected that they were toast too. We were going to replace the 200 amp hour bank with 800 amp hours of AGM batteries (four Fullriver L16's, bid at ~ $2,200), but found out from the dealer that they provide about 300 discharge cycles. We bought instead Rolls batteries (two 6CS25PM's for $2,800 and can expect 3300 discharge cycles. Couple of downsides: Each battery weighs well over 300 pounds and is ~19 inches tall, 22 inches long and over 11 inches wide. The admiral gave up (not altogether gracefully) most of the aftmost cubby in both staterooms. Issues considered were short cable runs, best weight distribution (critical in catamarans) and these were the only storage spots large enough. These are incredibly robust and capable batteries, with 10 year warranties and expected life, with semi-annual checks, of 15 - 20 years! Discharge rate for 20 hours is 820AH (that's 41 amps for 20 hours), which should give us an amazingly quiet time at anchor.

Gary Bell
Stray Cat MV34012
Candy Chapman and Gary Bell in Stray Cat, MV34 hull 12
Bargain Bill
skipper
skipper

Post by Bargain Bill »

41 amps for 20 hours !! Does that mean you can run the stateroom AC all night without running the genset?
I just purchased MV34029 and think I will need a new housebank before the next 12 mos.
Bill & Fran Carlson
Easy Riders MV34 #029
Ocean City, MD
Lady of the Lake
Site Admin

Post by Lady of the Lake »

Lady of the Lake is also ready for the swap. Lost a Gel Cell on the latest trip. Am seriously considering changing over to golf carts. Interested in hearing the positives and negatives.

Sam
Sam and Gina Densler
s/v Lady of the Lake
PDQ36 Hull #15
Punta Gorda, FL
Page 83
admiral
admiral

Post by Page 83 »

If you have a choice of terminals, get the conventional automotive lead post, and take normal house-keeping precautions; make the connections brite and shiney with wire terminal brushes, and clamp them tight. Stainless is a poor conductor, and the screw and ring terminal connectors are more likely to cause some resistance and heat. Keep any connector coated with a dielectric. I still use lanolin because its easy to see where its not completely covering, and will slowly dry to a tough insulating surface that is impervious to salt or green fuzz.

I do not reccommend my solution of using L-16 golf batteries unless you have to squeeze the absolute maximum amp hours into a limited footprint. I do suggest that you shop around; ignore brand names (all you are getting is a label) and compare amphours and total weight. Working at West, I've been very impressed with East Penn / Deka batteries, based on returns.
Maryland charges a ten dollar core charge, making it economical to bring in your old batteries when you buy new ones. The Diehards and the Trojans that are turned in haven't lasted as long as the Dekas. That is why they have such a long warranty.

About the name brands: There are only seven big battery factories in the Western hemisphere, and a smaller number of Boutique battery builders. They all sell blank batteries built to meet a buyers specs. Shipping is a major factor is buying large or small quantities of batteries, so a particular Chain Store Brand may be manufactured by Deka in the East Coast and by Superior on the West Coast, with the same labels (printed in China?) A Deka at one store may be better than a Deka at another store based on the store's buying standards. So unless you download and compare the product data sheets, the best way to rate a battery is by weight (thicker lead plates make better deep cycle batteries) and advertised amphours, which can be measured with a load meter and provide a basis for returning a poor one.
Sandy Daugherty "Page 83" PDQ 36026
MV Dana Louise
deckhand
deckhand

Post by MV Dana Louise »

As good as most 6vs at walmart for $82 lately.
Brian and Nancy Strong
MV34 Dana Louise [#32]
Bargain Bill
skipper
skipper

Post by Bargain Bill »

We just upgraded the house bank. Went from four 12v that would suffice for a day at best before we noticed the freezer was getting warmer.
Replaced with 8 of the 6v Trojan T-105s - - just b-a-r-e-l-y fit in the housebank compartment. I haven't had a chance to really test them under load for days at a time, but I'll report back when I do.
We are looking ahead to being on the hook in remote places in the Bahamas this winter. Any thoughts on solar vs: wind power to keep from burning diesel to get electricity?

Bargain Bill
Easy Riders MV34 #29
Bill & Fran Carlson
Easy Riders MV34 #029
Ocean City, MD
duetto
admiral
admiral

Post by duetto »

bill,

you actually fit 8 t-105s in the compartment under the rea deck???? i'm amazed. i was thinking about going to 6 but thought i'd have to move the fuel fill hose.
john & diane cummings
duetto mv34 #23
SecondWind
admiral
admiral

Post by SecondWind »

Bargain Bill wrote:We just upgraded the house bank. Went from four 12v that would suffice for a day at best before we noticed the freezer was getting warmer.
Replaced with 8 of the 6v Trojan T-105s - - just b-a-r-e-l-y fit in the housebank compartment. I haven't had a chance to really test them under load for days at a time, but I'll report back when I do.
We are looking ahead to being on the hook in remote places in the Bahamas this winter. Any thoughts on solar vs: wind power to keep from burning diesel to get electricity?

Bargain Bill
Easy Riders MV34 #29

Bill,

Sorry we missed you in Punta Gorda. We meant to introduce ourselves when we walked by the Isles YC, but then you were gone.

We have both solar and a Fourwinds generator. My advice is to fit as many solar panels on the boat as you can find space for and skip the wind generator. It is noisy and requires maintenance, while the solar panels are quiet, maintenance free, and overall put out a lot more amperage (unless you are anchored in 25-30 knots of wind-just where you don't want to anchor). You have a good genset onboard for those rare but cloudy days. Our two panels (220 watts total) max out at about 13 amps, which is sufficient most of the time. With today's technology I would install 4-130 watt units, which should run all of your household desires and a good watermaker. Check on E-bay to buy them, since you will find that the marine outlets are extremely pricey. Solar panels are already weather proof, so don't be fooled by someone trying to sell you marine grade. You can also buy your solar controller on E-bay, just make sure that it is big enough for the wattage/amperage that you wish to install.
Terry Green
s/v Second Wind
Bargain Bill
skipper
skipper

Post by Bargain Bill »

To install the 8 T-105s, I had to trim the wooden mounting block for the fuel vent. I put 3/4" marine plywood as a base which extended back to within 4" of the stern. There are 4 batteries on the port side running longways, and 4 batteries running beam-ways. I had less than 1 inch to spare in any direction. At 66 lbs each, its a fair amount of weight, but they have loads of amp hours to draw on.

Next project is to install either solar or wind to keep up with the daily demands at anchor (including icemaker, watermaker, galley appliances, and lights). I'm leaning toward solar, but the question is: where do I install 4 panels?
Building a rack over the dingy might work - - and its a short run to the batteries. Alternatively, a forward installation that doubles as a bimini and windshield shade might also work. I'd like to hear suggestions from those with some experience in this matter.

Bill Carlson
Bill & Fran Carlson
Easy Riders MV34 #029
Ocean City, MD
DickTuschick
admiral
admiral

Post by DickTuschick »

Hi!
Just for info...Trojan makes three 6V models a 105 AH, A 125AH and a 145 AH. All fit in the house battery compartment. The 145's give you almost a 50% increase in capacity....a nice upgrade for the cruiser that like to anchor out!!......and one more additional vote for solar panels, definitely the way to go!
Safe cruising
Dick