Torquedo

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the MV/32, MV/34, and MV/41.
Tom Green
skipper
skipper

Torquedo

Post by Tom Green »

I was considering a Torquedo electric outboard motor for my dinghy. Would appreciate thoughts or experience with this option.

Tom Green
Tom & Nanci Green
Diastole
MV3499
Page 83
admiral
admiral

Re: Torquedo

Post by Page 83 »

Pricey, and not absolutely quiet, the torqeedo line is VERY interesting. Recharging the small one could be problematic on a sailboat, but relatively easy on a Powercat. Did you know the biggest motors could replace the main engines on a 36?
Sandy Daugherty "Page 83" PDQ 36026
maxicrom
admiral
admiral

Post by maxicrom »

I can't speak to the smaller self contained units, but I've installed the 24v Cruise 2.0 (6hp) model as the STBD motor on our PDQ 36. It works great, but we only have about 10 hrs or so on it. We have a Yanmar diesel inboard on the port side and use the Torqeedo for docking an manuevering only. The only comment I would make is that the waterproofing could be a little better - again the self contained unit may be different. The instructions say do not submerge the control head. So far so good we are very pleased with our unit.

8) Mike
Mike & Linda
S/V II the Max
Ross Bowling
admiral
admiral

Post by Ross Bowling »

T-

I agonized about electric vs. gas when I was looking. I followed Henry Clews recommendation on the AB and since the 15HP is the same weight as the 9.9, went with the 15. For my use on SF Bay, it is nice to have the power to get up and go when we are at Angel Island or in the Delta. Examine your use, and if you might have 4 folks in the dink, and need to go some distance, go Gas.

I just purchased a used jet ski trailer to allow me to remove the dink when I know it will not be used. I fortunately have a place to store the trailer within 3 block of the Yacht Club. I am anxious to get the weight off of the stern. My money says go gas. :D

rb
Ross Bowling
Page 83
admiral
admiral

Post by Page 83 »

Mike: How fast will the Torqeedo push your 36 on its own?
Sandy Daugherty "Page 83" PDQ 36026
maxicrom
admiral
admiral

Post by maxicrom »

Sandy,

Hard to believe but I haven't run it all by itself - It's so nice being able to stop and adjust coming into the slip - the old controlled crashes were really getting old. Next time I'm out I'll do a speed test :lol:

Mike
Mike & Linda
S/V II the Max