Single Handing?

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the MV/32, MV/34, and MV/41.
owenbradford
deckhand
deckhand

Single Handing?

Post by owenbradford »

As I mentioned in another post, I'm currently looking at the PDQ as a boat for the Great Loop. I will be doing portions of it with friends and family, but there is a good chance that I'll be cruising solo a good chunk of the time. How is the PDQ as a singled-handed vessel? I'd be interested in hearing about any experiences you have cruising alone in your PDQ.

Thank you,

Owen
MV Dana Louise
deckhand
deckhand

Re: Single Handing?

Post by MV Dana Louise »

I single hand regularly. From the lower helm
you are always fine. You only need to know
two things: 1 preparation 2 anticipation
Brian and Nancy Strong
MV34 Dana Louise [#32]
MV Dana Louise
deckhand
deckhand

Post by MV Dana Louise »

Re prep maybe some specifics warranted

leave bunks flipped for clear view of engines
and bilges

have a Doppler radar on a screen. Smartphone
works well

best to have fuel vacuum guages [eg Murphy alarm guages]
and water in fuelindicators at helm for early warning.
Since one tank for both engines you cannot afford
surprises in bad weather or tight inlets.

Don't go on deck without a lifejacket and
a tethered hh VHF
Brian and Nancy Strong
MV34 Dana Louise [#32]
Sno' Dog
skipper
skipper

Post by Sno' Dog »

I have done quite a bit of single-handing on Sno' Dog and it has always gone reasonably well. Underway, I use the autopilot with a handheld remote so I can move freely about the boat. Docking requires some planning. I put fenders at the extreme bow & stern and I set out docking lines fore & aft as well as a couple near midships for spring lines. I've found the easiest approach (assuming no one's on the dock to help) is to back in at a slight angle. Just before the stern touches the dock, I put the engines in neutral and I go aft (down the steps, if it's a low dock) and I hop ashore to secure the aft line. Then, if necessary, I come back aboard and use the engines (one in forward, other in reverse) to bring the bow in. If it's really windy, I'll leave the engines in gear until I go back ashore and secure the bow. I have done this with winds gusting over 30, and I have done it from both inside and fly bridge stations without problem.

The excellent maneuverability of the PDQ makes her an easy boat to single-hand. At maneuvering speed, I, like most PDQ skippers, generally use only the single-lever controls to guide the boat. You just have to remember, she doesn't actually move sideways, everything has to be done with rotation and forward and backward motion. The PDQ is certainly the most maneuverable boat we have ever owned. We generally come into slips stern-first as this facilitates boarding at the rear which is our normal practice.

Among the now 130-or-so pages of SnoDogLog, you'll see documentation of several single-handed passages, notably: Norfolk to Charleston, fall 2007 (http://www.snodoglog.com/NH-FL-07-Pg1.html - from 10/05/07 on), Portsmouth to Norfolk, fall 2008 (http://www.snodoglog.com/08Fall-NH-to-FL-Pg1.html) and Norfolk to Portsmouth, spring 2009 (http://www.snodoglog.com/09Spring-FL-to-NH-Pg3.html)

Go for it!
Henry
MV 34-87 Sno' Dog
http://www.snodoglog.com
MikeH
admiral
admiral

Post by MikeH »

For single handing thru the locks on the Okeechobee Waterway -

Check the Okeechobee Waterway website and Notice to Mariners several times before your trip to confirm all locks are open.

Put on your life jacket before entering the lock.

I put out all my fenders port and starboard, being sure to get one as far forward on the bow as I can, and as far astern as I can. This will protect the bow and stern from bumping the lock wall if things go awry. Putting out all fedenders also helps if the lock master instructs you to switch sides unexpectedly, and also helps when the Nordhavn next to you has a bow thruster problem and drifts alongside your PDQ.

On entering the lock, generally, I catch a mid-ship line first and secure it tight. Then I can leisurely get the bow and stern lines. After the bow and stern are secure, I let loose the midship line. Normally, the lock lines are hanging over the side and ready to grab. At St Lucie Lock, the lock-master hands the lines down to you, so let them know on the radio that you are single handing and would appreciate a midships line first.

When the winds are calm, all usually goes routinely. When the winds kick up, especially on the stern, I've found that the wind can deflect off the lock wall and wants to push the bow out. Getting the midship line first usually compensates for this.

At the St Lucie Lock eastbound (going down), I tie the bow line off at the end of the line and leave as much slack as possible. Sometimes the lockmaster does not like seeing this, so wait until he goes back in the lock house before you let the line out. I keep the stern line tight and let the line out as the boat lowers. The outgoing current will keep the bow on the wall.

After the lock doors open, I wait for any boats ahead of me, or beside me to leave first. From the midships cleat, I give the boat a shove off of the wall, then engage forward propulsion. Pay close attention - the currents can get funky leaving the lock.

Watch out for Manatees !
Mike Hendry
M/V Easy Riders, Gulfport FL
2003 PDQ MV 34
The Legendary Hull #29
75 HP, 3 Blade
duetto
admiral
admiral

Post by duetto »

henry great to know you're alive and still a contributor after all these years!
john & diane cummings
duetto mv34 #23