Water filters on newer PDQ 34's

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the MV/32, MV/34, and MV/41.
DickTuschick
admiral
admiral

Water filters on newer PDQ 34's

Post by DickTuschick »

At one point (not sure what hull #) PDQ started installing a water filter between the water tank and the water pump. The purpose of this filter was to catch any large particullate matter that could foul the fresh water pump check valve. I'm sure many owners have just turned the filter setting to "bypass" for reasons of convenience but this is not always a desireable thing to do. From personal experience I would suggest (to owners that have this filter), that they do filter the water, and that they change the filter on a regular basis, al least every three months. The only filter that should be used in a very course weave that looks like string wound around a plastic core.(any finer filter will cause increased resistence in the water flow) These replacement filters are not expensive and are available at Home Depot in the plumbing department. If you do have the filter set to "filter" and the filter gets clogged, this will cause a strain on your water pump (that it is not designed to tolerate) and the pump will fail prematurely.
safe cruising,
Dick
Ross Bowling
admiral
admiral

Re: Water filters on newer PDQ 34's

Post by Ross Bowling »

Pulled mine out completely when we were having big problems with the filter & pumps. Once we found the cardboard box (falling apart) that contained 2 pickup tubes that were sent to PDQ in the tank we decided that the filter was more trouble than it was worth. Still have it but long since out of the boat.
Ross Bowling