Stiff Upper Helm Controls

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the MV/32, MV/34, and MV/41.
Sno' Dog
skipper
skipper

Stiff Upper Helm Controls

Post by Sno' Dog »

Although we've had very few mechanical problems with Sno' Dog, one minor annoyance has been the stiffness of the fly-bridge engine controls. Strangely, the lower helm controls operate freely even though they drag the upper controls with them - it doesn't seem logical!

Right now, I'm in the process of replacing two of the four cables. (I was amazed to find that the cables are 34 feet long!) I'll let you know if (the tedious process of) replacing the cables solves the problem. While I'm at it, I'm also taking steps to reduce the sharp bend where the cables enter the riser above the ceiling in the port aft cabin.

I've posted a new page on SnoDogLog to document my efforts, you can check it out at: www.snodoglog.com/Maintenance-Repairs.html.

Henry
aboard Sno' Dog - in Jensen Beach, FL
www.snodoglog.com
Last edited by Sno' Dog on Sun Dec 20, 2009 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mishigas
admiral
admiral

Re: Stiff Upper Helm Controls

Post by Mishigas »

Thanks Henry for documenting this repair. We all benefit from this knowledge. I agree that our engines can be accessed but there are a few spots that can be difficult to get to comfortably. I use a zip lock bag and a pad under the filter when changing the oil. Never had a big mess this way. Just curious Henry, are you running synthetic oil with your change interval? Regards, Sandy Kramer MV MISHIGAS Hull 68
Sno' Dog
skipper
skipper

Post by Sno' Dog »

Hi Sandy,

I've just been using Shell Rotella T 15-w-40. Since the boat never sees extreme temperatures, I haven't felt the need to use synthetic oil.

Regards,
Henry
www.snodoglog.com
Sno' Dog
skipper
skipper

Post by Sno' Dog »

Success! I installed the new cables and the controls now work very freely. Yeah! The new cables went in without problem using the pull cords. The sharp bend over the port cabin door has been reduced slightly. The fly-bridge controls now work better than when the boat was new.
Merry Christmas to all!
Henry
www.snodoglog.com/Maintenance-Repairs.html
Attachments
The newly rehabilitated Fly Bridge controls.
The newly rehabilitated Fly Bridge controls.
4086-FlyBrgControls-TN.jpg (38.91 KiB) Viewed 6490 times