MV34 Improvements

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the MV/32, MV/34, and MV/41.
MV Dana Louise
deckhand
deckhand

MV34 Improvements

Post by MV Dana Louise »

This is a catchup on projects which we have completed recently which some might want to consider.
We upgraded our electronics to Simrad driven primarily by the exceptional BR24 radar - which we are using now in the Maine fog where you cannot miss a buoy. We kept the original Raymarine autopilot which has been excellent.
We have an NSE12 display on the flybridge and below mounted high above the lower helm we use a 24 inch hdmi monitor which 'repeats' the NSE12 image. I use the same display for my laptop Coastal Explorer nav output so we always have a complete picture of what is happening. I still prefer to always have the raster chart image available and also keep a laptop topside when conditions allow.
We added a second depth/speed/temp sounder to the starboard side [an idea from Sno'Dog] and that links to our N2k network as does the PB200 wind/gps sensor.
We upgraded the Prosine 2000 to the new Xantrex SW3000 charger/inverter. No more power mysteries. Do not install this without the SCP option which should be included but is an option.
We added a Standard Horizon GX2100 VHF/AIS on the flybridge and mounted it directly below the Yanmar instruments.
I added a small AGM battery up there to 'buffer' the 12 volt power supply and provide a safety power source in the event of power disaster down below. I split the plexi in half horizontally so it folds to just clear the steering wheel and provides acess to otherwise wasted mounting space. I mounted a Fusion radio/ipod player on the side opposite the VHF.
I added a Ubiquity wifi antenna signal booster which greatly improves our liklihood of finding a 'free' wifi source.
It is ethernet cabled to the lower helm to provide internet weather for nav and entertainment [the overhead monitor swings for viewing from forward when in port].
We added led string lights all around below the brow as deck lights. The grandkids love to play with these with the rf remote control so be advised your neighbors may talk.
We are now adding Phantom shades to the forward port and starboard windows as the exterior shades are a hassle.
If you have any interest in any of these projects and have questions just ask. Brian
Brian and Nancy Strong
MV34 Dana Louise [#32]