Racor Filters

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the MV/32, MV/34, and MV/41.
Allezcat
admiral
admiral

Racor Filters

Post by Allezcat »

Is it okay to replace the Racors with 2 micron rather than 10 micron filters? It would seem to make sense as I'm told the engine filters are 2 micron and they are more difficult and expensive to change.

Chet
MV34096
100HP
Katlin
1st mate
1st mate

Re: Racor Filters

Post by Katlin »

I have used 2 micron for the last few years without incident. Just be prepared to change the 2 micron filter elements more frequently than the standard 100 hours depending on the quality of fuel you buy and the amount of crud in your tanks that gets stirred up by weather, etc.
John Sawyer
Katin
34/076 75HP
Tanah-Keeta
admiral
admiral

Post by Tanah-Keeta »

I was told by the Yanmar folks in NJ that using a 2 micron on the secondary would cause higher temps in the pump.. the fuel flow helps cool the pump.
Ron McDaniel
TK III 34108
thinwater
admiral
admiral

Post by thinwater »

I've used the 2 micron filters in both stationary and marine applications. They seemed to cause fuel pump problems and in someway reduce the cleaning capacity of the filter, presumably because the recirculation rate drops.
Writing full time since 2014.
"Rigging Modern Anchors,"Seaworthy Press, https://www.amazon.com/Rigging-Modern-A ... 1948494078
Book Store. http://sail-delmarva.blogspot.com/2017/ ... store.html
duetto
admiral
admiral

Post by duetto »

hi all,

this topic has been discussed on this forum for years. racor filter flow is a function of the filter model (ie. 500 series). assuming new filters a 2M and a 10M will flow the same, this is according to racor doc. as someone pointed out the 2M will clog sooner, reducing flow and needs to be changed sooner, but at a given vacuum reading flow will be the same. as for the yanmar on engine filter, it is a 15M according to yanmar doc (at least for 75 & 100). i too have been to boatshows where yanmar reps have told me they are 2M. when asked about the yanmar doc saying otherwise, they go glassy-eyed. with the tanks mounted above the pump, i think they don't need to suck very hard.

anecdotally, we have used 2M filters for 2700 hours with no bad effects.
john & diane cummings
duetto mv34 #23
DickTuschick
skipper
skipper

Post by DickTuschick »

Hi Folks,
Just had to add my two cents to this discussion.
We have put thousands of hours on various PDQ's all using 2 micron Racor filters with no problems. Needless to say it is MUCH better to have the Racor need replacement than the on-engine filter. The on-engine filter on our 100hp engines is a 2 micron.
Safe cruising.
Semi-Local
skipper
skipper

Post by Semi-Local »

Hi folks,

New to vacuum gages here and we'd love to know what "new" readings you all see and what the "replace" reading typically is.

Thanks much,

Mark
Mark & Diana Doyle
Semi-Local
PDQ MV 34 Hull 88, formerly PDQ 36 Capella Hull 36090

On the Water ChartGuides Cruising Guides & Electronic Charts
www.OnTheWaterChartGuides.com
duetto
admiral
admiral

Post by duetto »

hi mark,

we replace when high reading reaches 7. this is probably on the conservative side. i have discussed this with steve d'antonio in the past and he thought it was a good number.
john & diane cummings
duetto mv34 #23
Semi-Local
skipper
skipper

Post by Semi-Local »

thanx john!
Mark & Diana Doyle
Semi-Local
PDQ MV 34 Hull 88, formerly PDQ 36 Capella Hull 36090

On the Water ChartGuides Cruising Guides & Electronic Charts