curtains for front windows

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the MV/32, MV/34, and MV/41.
Mary & Roger
admiral
admiral

curtains for front windows

Post by Mary & Roger »

Has ANYone figured out how to 'attractively' cover the PDQ front windows? I'm personally going nuts. I have tried sewing same shape covers & applying with velcro but eventually they sagged. I have tried tie back curtains, but my husband says even when tied back they impede his view for operating below and anyway, when closed they hang 'out'... Any suggestions?

Thanks! Mary Comer...TEAMWORK
rkimble
1st mate
1st mate

Re: curtains for front windows

Post by rkimble »

Not sure if there is a good way to do them from the inside due to the slant, but we have covers on the outside (with snaps) that give privacy and block the sun (Texlene). Ours also have zippers so you can still open the middle window for a breeze. We take them off when sailing. I guess if you have to, you could use velcro at the top and bottom on the inside so that they fit well, yet could be removed to keep from blocking the vision.
Russ and Nancy Kimble
All That Jazz
MV34 #79
Fort Myers, FL
Tanah-Keeta
admiral
admiral

Post by Tanah-Keeta »

Hi Mary,
Try looking up Oceanair shades. I know they can fit hatches but don't know about the front windows.
Ron McDaniel
TK III 34108
Tom Green
skipper
skipper

Post by Tom Green »

We went to Lowes and bought retractable shades cut to length. I placed a thin plywood backing on the top of the shade case and fixed snaps to it. They correspond to the snaps that were installed at the factory for some thin fabric shades that are very cumbersome to put back once you put them down. So the shade case is snapped to the ledge above the window and looks fine. The shades can be pulled down or put up with ease. We put Velcro along the bottom of the shade and window so the shade stays parallel to the window when down. They are so light that they do not sag. We used the same shades on the aft windows in the house.

To us they look nice and provide privacy and keep the sun out when we want.
Tom & Nanci Green
Diastole
MV3499
Mary & Roger
admiral
admiral

Post by Mary & Roger »

Hey Tom...is there any way you could send us a picture? our email is teamwork2comer@gmail.com thanks...Mary
Tanah-Keeta
admiral
admiral

Post by Tanah-Keeta »

Hey Tom.. Me Too... tanahkeeta@suddenlink.net

Thanks
Ron McDaniel
TK III 34108
jim
1st mate
1st mate

Post by jim »

A picture for the Forum would be nice. Jim
mckdj12
Tom Green
skipper
skipper

Post by Tom Green »

I will take some pictures this week and post and send them to you.

Thanks.

Tom
Tom & Nanci Green
Diastole
MV3499
Mary & Roger
admiral
admiral

Post by Mary & Roger »

Hey Tom, thanks for the good ideas. I plan to fasten the shades right to the fiberglass over hanging the windows, plenty of room for screws above, didn't quite understand the use of plywood. Thanks again, Roger C.
Mary & Roger
admiral
admiral

Post by Mary & Roger »

I installed the shades from Lowes today, and used the brackets that came with them. No problem, even for a one armed man!! They look good, all that is left is to buy some industrial velcro for the bottom.
Thanks all for the good info. Roger C.