LEXAN Windscreens

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the MV/32, MV/34, and MV/41.
DickTuschick
skipper
skipper

LEXAN Windscreens

Post by DickTuschick »

Hi Folks,
Just a quick update on the above subject. As we all know, these windscreens have a limited life (at least in terms of looks) due to UV damage.
I have shopped around in this area and the best I could do to get new units made was $225 per side. I am having a batch of them made and if anyone would like a pair just give me a call. I think they would be very difficult to ship, so pick up here in Stuart would seem the best alternative. My cell is 772-486-2250.
makala
skipper
skipper

Re: LEXAN Windscreens

Post by makala »

I plan to replace our windscreen, and was wondering if anyone had a good source for the Lexan sheet. Also, what size is needed? Is it .177" thick, 48"x96" sheet in gray (Lexan 9034)?

It looks like I can just remove the existing ones and use them as a template and use a router to cut them out of the sheet- since I believe they are in the "flat".

Thanks,
Doug
B-Side MV34 #102
boathead
1st mate
1st mate

Re: LEXAN Windscreens

Post by boathead »

I am just about to go down this road, there is some good info on the trawler forum on this subject. The technical name for the windshield is a Venturi apparently . Lexan is the way to go ,not plexiglass. 3/16 should be the correct thickness. Most glass shops or decal/sign shops should be able to fix you up using your old one as a template.
You can do it yourself using a skill saw with the correct blade and/or router. Use painters tape and WD 40 as a lubricant. Save yourself a good chunk dough.
regards Carl
2003 Hull 28 75 hp Belmar (soon to be renamed KARMA)
home port Queens Creek Mathews Va.(Chesapeake Bay)