Marine Head questions for PDQ 34

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the MV/32, MV/34, and MV/41.
Golden
deckhand
deckhand

Marine Head questions for PDQ 34

Post by Golden »

We have a questions for everyone with a PDQ: what kind of marine toilets did the PDQ 34s come with?

Our PDQ (#40) has a manual pump head, we believe it’s because the boat was originally put into charter and the first owner needed a simple head that was easy to replace. We’re having problems with the head and so are exploring what the other PDQs had installed at the factory or are using now... Manual heads? Electric heads? By Jabsco, Raritan, other?

The other thing we notice is that there is not a vented loop on our boat between the toilet and the holding tank. All the owner manuals for marine toilets that we find online show vented loops between the toilet and the holding tank - do the other PDQ 34s have this vented loop?

Any information anyone can shed on this top would be appreciated! Thanks!

Paige & Mike Caldwell
Golden, MV#40/2004
Mike & Paige Caldwell
Golden, 2004 MV#40
http://www.GoldenTrawler.com
Ross Bowling
admiral
admiral

Re: Marine Head questions for PDQ 34

Post by Ross Bowling »

The head on Vita Bella MV34 (114) is a Jabsco Electric. Yes ours has a loop and vent,
Located in the forward star board (deck hatch) storage area.
Ross Bowling
Cat Daddy
1st mate
1st mate

Post by Cat Daddy »

Ours is also a Jabsco electric. Not sure about the vented loop but I am noticing slight odor when the tank is over half full, so plumbing is on my to do list.
A vented loop may be added if it's not there now.

During our boat shopping we looked at at least 8 different MV34's that Rhumbline & Stuart Yacht Sales had and it seems most if not all had the Jabsco electric.

It's good to see you guys back out on the water. Your blog was a great resource for us during the boat buying process. Thanks for all the work you put into it.
Rafe Williams
"Cat Daddy"
MV34 #32
Golden
deckhand
deckhand

Post by Golden »

Cat Daddy wrote:It's good to see you guys back out on the water. Your blog was a great resource for us during the boat buying process. Thanks for all the work you put into it.
Thank you, Rafe! Nice to know people are reading it and finding it helpful. We, too, are really happy to be back on the boat after a year chasing medical problems. Glad that's behind us - and even happier that we've got cruising plans in our future!

Paige & Mike
Golden, 2004 #40
www.GoldenTrawler.com
Mike & Paige Caldwell
Golden, 2004 MV#40
http://www.GoldenTrawler.com
thinwater
admiral
admiral

Post by thinwater »

Many PDQ do NOT have vented loops on the intake. They are not needed if the lip of the bowl is above the water line (can't siphon). Heads on monohull sailboats are nearly always below the water line.

The simplest cure for a balky Jabsco manual head is the replace the whole pump assembly ($80 Defender). Much easier and more satisfactory than trying to rebuild (a few bolts and swap the whole unit), and the head will be like new for another 5 years.
Last edited by thinwater on Tue Apr 08, 2014 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Writing full time since 2014.
"Rigging Modern Anchors,"Seaworthy Press, https://www.amazon.com/Rigging-Modern-A ... 1948494078
Book Store. http://sail-delmarva.blogspot.com/2017/ ... store.html
thinwater
admiral
admiral

Post by thinwater »

Regarding odor, try these posts:

Replacing hoses on a PDQ 32
http://sail-delmarva.blogspot.com/2011/ ... utton.html

Holding tank vent filters. My filter is going into its 4th year.
http://sail-delmarva.blogspot.com/2011/ ... ilter.html

If you don't like the DIY filter, I'm currently reviewing the Big Orange OEM filter and it is very nice.
Writing full time since 2014.
"Rigging Modern Anchors,"Seaworthy Press, https://www.amazon.com/Rigging-Modern-A ... 1948494078
Book Store. http://sail-delmarva.blogspot.com/2017/ ... store.html
Mary & Roger
admiral
admiral

Post by Mary & Roger »

Has anyone changed the Jabsco toilet assembly for the Raratan. Friend on motor yacht did it, and he said quieter, less water..
Roger on Teamwork # 62
MikeH
admiral
admiral

Post by MikeH »

Easy Riders (Hull #29) has what may be the original Jabsco head, but I can't see any nameplate info. Saltwater flush. A prior owner converted the manual pump to the Jabsco 29200-0120 electric toilet conversion pump in the photo.

This is a little graphic, so don't read further if you're eating ...

When flushing the head, clean seawater comes out of the rim of the bowl, and as the "material" gets sucked out of the base of the head, brown water comes out of the rim of the bowl, then changes back to clean water as the flushing finishes.

I though this may have been a problem with the pump - it was really noisy. I put in a new pump, which is noisier, and did not affect the issue.

I looked at the pump diagram, and I don't see how any cross-over of intake and discharge water can be happening inside the pump. (I may be looking at it wrong.)

The rim has become clogged, and very little seawater is coming thru (probably has salt build up also).

I'm going to disconnect the seawater output line from the pump, and start feeding thru vinegar and fresh water to see if I can get the rim unclogged.

Does anyone have advice or insights on the "material" cross-over?
Attachments
Head 2.jpg
Head 1.jpg
Mike Hendry
M/V Easy Riders, Gulfport FL
2003 PDQ MV 34
The Legendary Hull #29
75 HP, 3 Blade
duetto
admiral
admiral

Post by duetto »

hi mike,

i took a look at the doc on the jabsco kit. it is essentially the same parts as we have on the jabsco on our mainship. if that's the case, i've rebuilt the pump before. it has 2 impellers on either side of a ss plate. one impeller sucks the saltwater in and the other pushs the bowl contents out. the fit of the 2 impellers against the plate is what prevents the crap from bleeding back into the incoming saltwater. if it's the same as ours, the output impeller has a set screw to adjust/secure it. jabsco support told me to err on the tight side to prevent the problem.

hope this helps, good luck.
john & diane cummings
duetto mv34 #23
MikeH
admiral
admiral

Post by MikeH »

Thanks John ! I'll report back on the results.
Mike Hendry
2003 PDQ MV 34
The Legendary Hull #29
75 HP, 3 Blade
MikeH
admiral
admiral

Post by MikeH »

John, you are hot on the trail again ! It was impeller related.

My pump set up is a little different than yours. As it turns out, there is a "bleed hose" that connects the waste body to the seawater body, which explains the waste cross-over to the seawater. If I had looked at the exploded view of the parts diagram, I would have seen this,

The problem turned out to be that the flush water impeller had worn a hole in the cork gasket seal, because the pump was missing the metal wear plate over the impeller. This allowed the pump to suck air, I emailed Xylem customer support to see if they can send me a new gasket and the missing wear plate.
Attachments
20230402_124616.jpg
20230402_124621.jpg
Mike Hendry
2003 PDQ MV 34
The Legendary Hull #29
75 HP, 3 Blade
duetto
admiral
admiral