Tme for a new dinghy

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the MV/32, MV/34, and MV/41.
jbrad
skipper
skipper

Tme for a new dinghy

Post by jbrad »

Well folks it is that time. We are ready to replace our old dinghy on Mr. Busy, an 8' Walker Bay with tubes. What are you guys using that fits well on the original 34 davits? Any recommendations for or against any of the current crop?
MR BUSY
duetto
admiral
admiral

Re: Tme for a new dinghy

Post by duetto »

we had an ab hypalon 9'10" with 15hp yamaha 2 stroke. it lasted 8 years in sun 365 days/yr. in the meantime we bought a new dinghy for summer in new england. it's a west marine hypalon 10'6". we've had it 5 seasons in new england and love it. this past fall we bought another for duetto. it just fits between hulls when lifting. it weighs 105 lbs and is a very dry ride even going into 1-2' chop. i highly recommend it.

however, when our original (old style) davit broke, we replaced with a set from st croix so i can't comment on how it would lift & hang with the original davits. the ab definitely worked with the original davits.
john & diane cummings
duetto mv34 #23
jim
1st mate
1st mate

Post by jim »

Did you consider a hard sided dinghy like the Gig Harbor 10' Navigator (even comes in Kevlar), 9.5' Captain's Gig, or 8' Nisqually? They are all displacement hulls, but you can row, sail or motor them. The Navigator and Gig Harbor also have electric motors that attach to the rudder. They also have inflatable collars for additional buoyancy. Jim
mckdj12
jbrad
skipper
skipper

Post by jbrad »

I have not, but thank you for the suggestions. I will look them up.

Jimmy
MR BUSY
DickTuschick
skipper
skipper

Post by DickTuschick »

Hello Jimmy,
We just replaced our old dinghy with a AB 9' Ultra Lite (aluminum bottom) with a 15 hp 2 stroke (bought in Bahamas) and it is the best dinghy we have ever had on the PDQ. Fits perfectly and is try easy to lift and launch. A smaller motor like a 6hp 2 stroke might be a better choice and is a bit lighter, but I wanted to be able to plane with three people and this does it easily.
Have fun !