Storage around lower helm seat

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the MV/32, MV/34, and MV/41.
Gusto
skipper
skipper

Storage around lower helm seat

Post by Gusto »

The shelf behind the lower helm seat was always cluttered with charts, cruising guides and containers full of keys, suntan lotion, etc. I wanted an out of the way but convenient place to store them. I also wanted to raise the seat for better visibility at speed. I never adjusted the seat fore & aft so the adjustment bar was just an annoyance. So I built a cherry seat support which placed the seat 3" higher and mounted the seat to it without the sliding mechanism. The charts now live under the seat. I built a cabinet behind the seat that has a place for all the books as well as 2 drawers for all the stuff. I can email photos to those interested in a project.
duetto
admiral
admiral

Re: Storage around lower helm seat

Post by duetto »

hi,

sign me up. i'd love to see pictures.
john & diane cummings
duetto mv34 #23
Gusto
skipper
skipper

Post by Gusto »

Gusto is trying to get to Duetto. Please send me your email and I will send you the pictures of the storage cabinet.
teamwork
skipper
skipper

Post by teamwork »

Hey Gusto, Teamwork would like to have pix also. rogercomer487@gmail.com Thanks..
MikeH
admiral
admiral

Post by MikeH »

Hi All -

I pulled the trigger on moving aboard Easy Risers (sold the house yesterday) !

I'm getting lined up with James do do some custom modifications this winter:

- shelving and bins behind the lower helm seat

- raising and re-upholstering the lower helm seat, and adding tool drawers or bins under the seat.

I would appreciate any design ideas or photos that you may have have.

If it's easier to email photos: mikehendry4444@gmail.com.

Thanks !!
Mike Hendry
M/V Easy Riders, Gulfport FL
2003 PDQ MV 34
The Legendary Hull #29
75 HP, 3 Blade
duetto
admiral
admiral

Post by duetto »

heh gusto, sorry i missed your post. send picks to jndbusiness@gmail.com. thanks
john & diane cummings
duetto mv34 #23
chrishead
deckhand
deckhand

Post by chrishead »

Not to derail this post (leave it to a newbie!) - but it seems like a good place to ask if anyone has reconfigured or replaced their lower helm seat so that it can swivel and be better seating for the upper sitting area. We infrequently run the boat from inside and it would be more useful to us as more comfortable social seating.

Just my two cents, I imagine everyone would like to see other's modifications and it would be great if photos were posted here rather than having to request to have them emailed.

Chris
Julie & Chris Head
"Headway"
2006 MV 34 #86 100hp
MikeH
admiral
admiral

Post by MikeH »

Thanks Chris ! That's a great idea on the swivel, and I've added it to my notes. The seat definitely gets more use during cocktails parties than it does as a helm seat.
Mike Hendry
M/V Easy Riders, Gulfport FL
2003 PDQ MV 34
The Legendary Hull #29
75 HP, 3 Blade
duetto
admiral
admiral

Post by duetto »

always the contrariin (is that a word?), we drive from the inside a lot and would only give it up if it could be a dual use seat.
john & diane cummings
duetto mv34 #23
AlanH
admiral
admiral

Post by AlanH »

We have had the boat 6.5 years and only driven from the lower station in fairly heavy rains storms, until recently. On our trip Florida to the Chesapeake in the spring, between the wind and cold, we spent about 12 hours driving from the lower station. Once you get used to it, it is not bad. We will probably do it a little more often in the future.

Alan
Alan Hendry
Catbo
2006 34' Hull #81
75hp engines
Don & Robbin
deckhand
deckhand

Post by Don & Robbin »

I built a helm seat out of cherry that matches the port settee. There is storage under the seat and the back. I left a small gap between the seat and the rear shelf. Chart kits fit perfectly. It is also my favorite lounging seat since you can stretch your legs out. Send me an email if you would like pictures.
Don
pdq039@gmail.com
AlanH
admiral
admiral

Post by AlanH »

I forgot to mention in my last post, I sit on a 3 inch throw cushion for better visibility when driving from the lower station. Raising the helm might be worth considering. We would leave the seat adjuster in place if we do raise it. Adjusting the seat gives me storage space for a flybridge table, two folding chairs and charts. I put the seat forward, put everything behind it, then slide the seat back to hold it all firmly in place.

You can attach pictures to posts. It is a little finicky but the tab at the bottom left when you are writing a post allows you to do it. The first time I did it I had to write the administrator and he upped my per post data limit. Also, when I do upload and look at the preview, the pictures are always 90 degrees off. They come out right when it posts though.

Gusto and Don, please sent me pictures. alan55hendry@gmail.com

Alan
Alan Hendry
Catbo
2006 34' Hull #81
75hp engines
bjgin
skipper
skipper

Post by bjgin »

Please email pictures... nc-mtns@att.net
BJ and Ginny Patterson
2004 PDQ MV34, #40, 110 Engines
FantaSea IV
The Villages, FL
Scottfree
deckhand
deckhand

Post by Scottfree »

Please mail me pictures as well. scottmckinley78@gmail.com.

Thanks!
Scott & Cathy McKinley
M/V Scott Free, Norfolk, VA
2006 PDQ 34, hull # 102
100hp, 4 blade prop
BuoyScout
deckhand
deckhand

Post by BuoyScout »

We'd love to see the pics too! josh@BLKLABMotorcycles.com
Josh + Karen + Dutch