SS pipes to Transmission Oil Cooler

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the MV/32, MV/34, and MV/41.
Allezcat
admiral
admiral

SS pipes to Transmission Oil Cooler

Post by Allezcat »

Has anyone found a source to replace the raw water stainless pipes to the transmission oil cooler? Mine are leaking along the longitudinal seam on the underside of the pipes. Thanks, Chet, 2006 Hull 96, 100HP
duetto
admiral
admiral

Re: SS pipes to Transmission Oil Cooler

Post by duetto »

hi chet,

call gregg at stuart yacht builders in stuart, fl. i seem to remember him mentioning he has a source.
john & diane cummings
duetto mv34 #23
jgonnerman
skipper
skipper

Post by jgonnerman »

i went to a local marine oriented welding shop here in San Diego. The shop specializes in towers, davits, etc. mostly in polished stainless.

They fabricated my pipes with only difference that their pipe bender couldn't quite make the same size radius as the original. Result was that the hoses to the cooler and the water supple have to bend just a bit.

My pipes failed more quickly than yours I think because the boat sat still too much. Failure was in the same place at the linear weld point. Marinetex worked quite well for an additional couple of years.

John Gonnerman
John Gonnerman
San Diego Ca
"Westend Express"
2002 34 Hull 20
teamwork
skipper
skipper

Post by teamwork »

Question. Do you really need the SS pipes? flex lines can be made up to any length. I'm in favor of removing all parts that will rust/corrode. Just a thought. Teamwork
wrnole
deckhand
deckhand

Post by wrnole »

Teamwork,

Did you ever get an answer to your question about replacing the SS pipes with another material? I have some pitting on one section of pipe and was wondering the same thing. There is a 2002 PDQ Powercat on YachtWorld that has rubber hoses in place of the SS pipe.

wrnole
hull #24
teamwork
skipper
skipper

Post by teamwork »

no, Teamwork has not heard about flex lines, still seem like the thing to do.