PDQ 41 Fuel Line Issues

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the MV/32, MV/34, and MV/41.
BluNoser
deckhand
deckhand

PDQ 41 Fuel Line Issues

Post by BluNoser »

We bought our 41 four years ago (Hull #11). The fuel feed had been modified to include Racor 1000's in place of the on engine primary filters, and the addition of two boost pumps between the tank and the Racors. Our understanding was that this was a setup recommended by very knowledgeable folks, and so we assumed it would be trouble free. Not so. Over three years, I replaced three boost pumps, and I had ongoing issues with high vacuum that nobody at Yanmar could explain.

I have always had my 41 serviced by Gregg Burdick at Stuart Yacht Services, and have always been impressed with his common sense knowledge of everything to do with boating. We chatted about my issues and he took it upon himself (at his expense) to find the reasons for the high vacuum. After hours of testing with vacuum gauges and various sizes of fuel lines, he came to the conclusion that the fuel line from the tank to the Racor was too small, and in fact, there was one fitting that effectively took it down to 1/4". To make a long story short, he took out the boost pumps and replaced the line from the tank to the Racor with a 5/8" line. We also established that the Racor 1000's were too big for the fuel flow and would not do as effective a job removing water from the fuel as the 500's would be. He made the modifications, and we left for six weeks in the Bahamas. Now that we are back, I'm happy to report that the vacuum gauges didn't go over 3" the entire time, and I didn't have to listen to the incessant whine of the boost pumps. I know Gregg would be happy to chat with any 41 owner who would like more information.
The Risleys
Nautical Rooster Too (formerly Calypso)
PDQ41 - Hull #11