Thru hull handle

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the MV/32, MV/34, and MV/41.
lgeller
1st mate
1st mate

Thru hull handle

Post by lgeller »

While working in the bilge I accidentally cracked the engine thru hull handle. It looks like a replacement could be easily screwed on, but I can't figure out the manufacturer of the thru hull. If anyone knows the make and model or has any suggestions for the repair, p,ease let me know.

Thank you
Larry Geller
Pdq34 Plush toy

Heading to the abacos on July 1
wrnole
deckhand
deckhand

Re: Thru hull handle

Post by wrnole »

I'm not on our boat so I don't have the spec. The manufacturer is Forespar and the material is Marelon. They have a customer service department that can give advice. Hope this helps.
Spoff4
1st mate
1st mate

Post by Spoff4 »

There are two sizes of handle and the O-rings are proprietary. Forespar will send you the parts you need. There is a plug in the handle that covers a phillips head screw. remove the screw and the handle can be pulled out. You'll need a very short screw driver or a 90 degree angled screw driver. It's easier to do and a lot less exciting if the valve is closed or the boat is on the dry before you remove the handle.
If you're in a bind, give me a call (813-273-5033) and I can FedEx a handle and O-ring to you from Tampa. We have several spares.
-George
George and Anita, Paul and Susan
Tampa Girl
MV 34 Hull #60
Tampa, Fl
James Power
admiral
admiral

Post by James Power »

Always a good idea to replace the white plastic cap in the handle when done. It can be used to plug the seacock mushroom from the outside. This enables rebuilding the seacock valve while in the water. James
James Power
admiral
admiral

Post by James Power »

On the topic of engine intake seacocks, have a look at the hose for signs of cracking or corroder hoseclamps. Also chafe where the hose is run beside the aft engine mount. We have seen more of this as the boats age. James
duetto
admiral
admiral

Post by duetto »

hi all,

another hose to check, at least on the early boats, is the raw water hose to the exhaust riser. they have an extreme bend which cracks with age.
john & diane cummings
duetto mv34 #23