Engine instrumentation upgrades

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the MV/32, MV/34, and MV/41.
nocall
1st mate
1st mate

Engine instrumentation upgrades

Post by nocall »

Our 2005 MV34 only has full engine instrumentation at the lower helm--the steering station which we practically never use. We have the 75 hp engines. Has anyone added full engine instrumentation (engine temp/oil pressure/exhaust gas temp/etc) to their flybridge? If so, I would love to hear how you did it and what was involved.

Even worse, our Northern Lights generator has no instruments other than an hour meter. For an engine that is expected to run reliably and continuously this seems a bit lacking and here too I would like to replace the current panel with an upgraded panel with at least temperature/oil pressure gauges. Again, if anyone can offer advice I am all ears. I can make enough mistakes on my own without repeating those others have made...
jbrad
skipper
skipper

Re: Engine instrumentation upgrades

Post by jbrad »

Nocall,

We also have the 75 Hp engines and just this weekend were discussing this same issue and would be very interested in this upgrade.

Jimmy B
Mr Busy
MR BUSY
nocall
1st mate
1st mate

Post by nocall »

I guess the question is whether we go with a new Yanmar full instrument panels (assuming there is room for such) or simply add the instruments we want, and whether we want digital or analog. This sounds like it would be a simple project--which means it won't be. 8)
lgeller
1st mate
1st mate

Post by lgeller »

We had considered doing this on Plush Toy, but were told that the cost was prohibitive. As a backup, I asked James Power to check that all of the "dummy lights" on the flybridge were in working order - just so that we had a way to know if there was a problem.
Miss Agnes
deckhand
deckhand

Post by Miss Agnes »

Nocall,

I too would like to have temp and oil pressure gauges for the bridge helm and the generator. I don't understand the builders thinking on skimping on something so basic. :x
Gusto
skipper
skipper

Post by Gusto »

Our 2006 MV34 has the same instrumentation. To me there are 3 main pieces of information that I want immediately. Water rising in the bilge, high engine temperature and low oil pressure. I solved the bilge water problem by installing two Aqualarm bilge pump alarm monitors in the bridge console. They are wired to alarm when the bilge pump pumps. My bilge is dry so I know there is a problem if one pump comes on. The most frequent cause of engine overheating is the lack of raw water to the heat exchanger. I installed two Borel raw water failure alarms to the exhaust hoses just below the elbows and mounted the panels beside the Aqualarm panels on the bridge. The Borel will alarm as soon as the exhaust gas temperature rises and before the engine overheats. I am considering adding oil pressure gauges on the bridge in the future.