stern light wiring

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the MV/32, MV/34, and MV/41.
h.Mika

stern light wiring

Post by h.Mika »

I would like to wire a stern working light on my 34. I have the later model bench davit system, and centered on the arch is a plate that I assume was intended for a stern (running) light. At the plate is an access wiring hole. I want to assume that there is another access hole in one or both of the support legs (perhaps through their base, an oval plate attached to the second step on each hull). In my boat, however, this access hole has not been drilled through. I am hoping that the hole exists in the SS plate, and I have to only drill through fiberglass to access it. I am hoping to avoid drilling such an access hole through the fiberglass and the SS support plate, while upside down below deck. I would appreciate any advice! Thank you.
jgonnerman
skipper
skipper

Re: stern light wiring

Post by jgonnerman »

I just installed a hard top kit on my boat and had to both drill overhead and on parts that in some cases were not securely afixed. I broke down and purchased some carbide bits. Drilling overhead and stainless became no problem to drill

Also try a small bit and start in the center where they likely drilled the hole and if not the carbide bit will make its own.
John Gonnerman
San Diego Ca
"Westend Express"
2002 34 Hull 20
teamwork
skipper
skipper

Post by teamwork »

Hey John, could you send pix of hardtop? rogercomer487@gmail.com Thanks
DickTuschick
skipper
skipper

Post by DickTuschick »

Sorry for taking so long to respond but just saw your posting question. If you have not already found out there is a hole for wiring at the base of the davit mount. If you just drill up between the two mounting bolts you should hit it perfectly. I think the hole must be about 1.5" in diameter. The fiberglass there is about 1" thick. It is then easy to run any wiring from there to the battery area or the electrical panel. When I installed solar panels I used that route for the wiring and it was quite easy to do.