wiper arms?

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the MV/32, MV/34, and MV/41.
lgeller
1st mate
1st mate

Re: wiper arms?

Post by lgeller » Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:27 am

THANK YOU JAMES

AMCarter3
admiral
admiral

Post by AMCarter3 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:24 am

We bought and installed a AFI-1000 motor with 2.5” shaft - includes arm kit w/blade @ Fisheries.com <https://www.fisheriessupply.com/afi-mar ... -wiper-kit>. It is available in a choice of two sweep angles: 80° and 110°. We use 80º.

Another watchout. The wire connectors on the motor are unusual right angle spade connectors. For some reason they were really loose when connected to the connectors on the wires coming from the breaker. They would literally fall off as soon as the motor was mounted. We had to glue the two motor wires to the motor housing and then attach spade disconnects.
Mac Carter
2006 34' PDQ PowerCat "All Heart"; MV 98; twin 100 HP Yanmars
Home Port: Bellingham WA 98229
Member of San Juan Sailing & Yachting charter fleet: http://sanjuansailing.com/charter-detai ... .php?id=35

John&Ria
skipper
skipper

Post by John&Ria » Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:31 pm

It's our turn to replace one of our wiper motors and this thread has been very helpful in pointing us in the right direction. That said I'm still unsure whether to go with the AFI 34000 or AFI 71082 model, both of which I can source at a competitive price in Canada. Their performance specs appear to be identical, with the only difference being that the 71082 is in a sealed unit and the 34000 is not. Given that the motor is mounted in a protected space I'm not sure that it's necessary to spend the extra $70 for the sealed unit. I'd welcome feedback from anyone who has already been in this postion and selected one or the other of these two choices.....or for that matter, from anyone else who has an opinion.

Also, I'm struggling to remove the wiper arm from the shaft, which appears to be a common challenge. I've located and removed the set screw and sprayed the part with copious amounts of Blaster, but so far no joy. I'm considering applying heat from a small butane torch, but don't wan't to take that step if there are better methods to apply. Again, any feedback would be most welcome.

Thanks!

John

deising
admiral
admiral

Post by deising » Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:42 am

If I recall, there are two set screws on the wiper arm. With both removed, I tried many things to get the arms off for replacement with no success. I finally used a Dremel cut-off wheel to carefully saw a cut through the arm parallel to the splined shaft. before cutting too deeply and scoring the shaft, I used a small chisel and hemmer to widen the cut slot until the metal failed and the arm popped off.

Obviously, that is fine only if you intend to replace the entire arm. You might be able to find a puller that will fit and help you get it off intact, but I knew I was replacing all the arms, so did not bother trying to find one.

Good luck!
Duane Ising
m/v Diva Di
Punta Gorda, FL
2006 PDQ MV 34 - hull 91, 75HP, 3-blade

John&Ria
skipper
skipper

Post by John&Ria » Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:51 pm

Thanks for the comments Duane. I removed the second set screw and banged away for awhile today, but unfortunately it was not enough to free the arm. I have a feeling I may have to cut off the existing arm and replace it, as you did.

AMCarter3
admiral
admiral

Post by AMCarter3 » Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:42 am

We had to cut ours off with a hack saw.
Mac Carter
2006 34' PDQ PowerCat "All Heart"; MV 98; twin 100 HP Yanmars
Home Port: Bellingham WA 98229
Member of San Juan Sailing & Yachting charter fleet: http://sanjuansailing.com/charter-detai ... .php?id=35

John&Ria
skipper
skipper

Post by John&Ria » Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:41 am

Hi Mac, you too eh. I guess that settles it. Did you have much difficulty cutting it with a hacksaw blade?