Genset Exhaust Soot

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the MV/32, MV/34, and MV/41.
Ortolan
skipper
skipper

Genset Exhaust Soot

Post by Ortolan »

How much soot is normal with the Northern Lights genset equipped with the Vetus water separator? Also, should some water be "spitting" out of the above-water discharge along with the exhaust gasses?

I seem to recall when we bought our PDQ 6 months ago that there was often a little spray of water from the hull discharge. Now, not so much, but there is just enough water to cause a black sooty stain running down the hull.

I don't think it's a water flow problem, as it's been like this before & after impeller replacement.

I don't like the idea of no temp gauge. I know they have a "deluxe" huge, expensive panel with one - has anyone wired in just a regular temp gauge?

Russ
m/v Twin Sisters
Hull #100
Russ
Twin Sisters
PRIOR Owners of a 2006 MV34
www.esc-pod.com
duetto
admiral
admiral

Re: Genset Exhaust Soot

Post by duetto »

hi,

not familiar with northern lights specifically but generally sooty exhaust in diesels indicates either 1) not loaded enough and thus not heating up to fully burn fuel or 2) dirty fuel.
john & diane cummings
duetto mv34 #23
jbrad
skipper
skipper

Post by jbrad »

Good Morning Russ,

We have the Northern Lights generator and exhaust like yours and have had a similar stain issue since new. The system has performed flawlessly since August 04 when we took delivery and continues to do so. I often check the engines and genset temps with a laser temperature gauge and have always found them to be within normal ranges.

I keep a soot cleaner in a spray bottle and a brush in the genset locker and just "dip and clean" it often. I wax the area around and below the exhaust more often keeping it much easier to clean.

Good luck and welcome to the PDQ family.

Jimmy
Mr Busy
Hull # 059
MR BUSY
deising
admiral
admiral

Post by deising »

We have the same "problem" but I just clean that little area more often. In the whole scheme of things, it is not a big deal as long as the generator runs reliably, which it does.
Duane Ising
m/v Diva Di
Punta Gorda, FL
2006 PDQ MV 34 - hull 91, 75HP, 3-blade
John&Ria
admiral
admiral

Post by John&Ria »

One other suggestion for keeping the hull clean of soot below and behind the generator exhaust: insert a short piece (about 2") of suitably sized PVC pipe into the exhaust outlet. I used 5200 sealant for bonding.

This arrangement works like a charm to ensure any soot/water mixture from the generator is expelled without hitting the hull, so no further cleanup required.

Kudos to others on this forum, where we found this good idea.

John
Ortolan
skipper
skipper

Post by Ortolan »

Thanks all. I think I'll try John's idea of a short pipe or tube to keep most of it away from the hull.
Russ
Twin Sisters
PRIOR Owners of a 2006 MV34
www.esc-pod.com