Quick Genius 1000 Windlass

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the MV/32, MV/34, and MV/41.
wrnole
deckhand
deckhand

Quick Genius 1000 Windlass

Post by wrnole »

I just replaced our Quick Genius 1000 windlass with a Quick Ultra Genius FSGU 10000516A00. This is an older model (not in production) that I was very lucky to find. I purchased it from Quick USA and they only have one left. It is on sale for $750.00. This later version windlass is the exact replacement of the Genius 1000 with the only difference being a higher percentage of anodized aluminum which makes it a little darker. And, it has an upgraded chain stripper (made of stainless steel) which is built into the gypsy. Current G2 production does not have the same footprint. Anyone interested can contact Quick USA at 410.636.5991. If you have questions, feel free to contact me.

Richard
"Soul Sauce"
Hull #24
rhumbline2
deckhand
deckhand

Re: Quick Genius 1000 Windlass

Post by rhumbline2 »

Richard, thanks so much for your post!

I ordered the last one they had this morning. Our original windlass broke about a month ago the last week we were out at Lighthouse Reef Atoll in Belize. Needless to say, we moved the boat around a bit less after that. Original foot print and "plug & play" installation is wonderful - plus the great price!

I'm mostly a lurker on this forum, but I had to express my thanks to you!

James Mills
Rhumbline
Hull 27
wrnole
deckhand
deckhand

Post by wrnole »

James,

I'm glad I was able to help. The Ultra Genius is a great replacement. The biggest challenge we faced was breaking the seal of the adhesive that the factory applied to the base of the windlass. If you have any questions, feel free to send me a PM.

Richard
PDQ Hull 11
deckhand
deckhand

Post by PDQ Hull 11 »

Can anyone recommend a replacement windlass for my PDQ 34 hull #11? I believe the one I have is factory original. I cruise in the very deep waters of the inside passage (Seattle to Alaska), and I'd like to upgrade to a more powerful unit that can handle the longer anchor rhode I've added to my boat for deep water cruising.
duetto
admiral
admiral

Post by duetto »

hi,

we replaced our genius when it failed. the replacement was a lewmar profish. i think it's better in almost everyway. it's faster, quieter, all ss, and it has an almost identical footprint. we reused all wiring and added a remote.
john & diane cummings
duetto mv34 #23
PDQ Hull 11
deckhand
deckhand

Post by PDQ Hull 11 »

Thanks for the reply. I'm having trouble opening the Lewmar web page. Did you install the Profish 700 or 1000? Based on the information I have found online, I'm leaning towards using the Profish Freefall 1000 on my PDQ 34. Thanks again!
duetto
admiral
admiral

Post by duetto »

hi,

it is a 1000. stuart yacht builders installed it. installation was straight forward.
john & diane cummings
duetto mv34 #23