PORT ENGINE IDLE TEMPERATURE

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the MV/32, MV/34, and MV/41.
sailkane
skipper
skipper

PORT ENGINE IDLE TEMPERATURE

Post by sailkane »

With both engines initial start up and at idle the port engine goes to 120 degrees and stays there while the starboard stays around 75. At WOT both engines stay at 175.
I undersand the thermostats at these temperatures are closed so there is no raw water cooling in effect.
Both engines anti freeze levels are correct, checked at the engine and the coolant container.
What are you seeing at idle after 5 minutes?
Don't know if I should start the effort to fix this minor issue if cruising and WOT are perfect.( but I'm picky!)

Any comments would be welcome.
deising
admiral
admiral

Re: PORT ENGINE IDLE TEMPERATURE

Post by deising »

Buy an inexpensive infrared temp gun to check what the temps really are. I don't recall a disparity as the engines warm up.
Duane Ising
m/v Diva Di
Punta Gorda, FL
2006 PDQ MV 34 - hull 91, 75HP, 3-blade
AlanH
admiral
admiral

Re: PORT ENGINE IDLE TEMPERATURE

Post by AlanH »

Both of my engines get up to about 155 at 1200 RPM while sitting at the dock. They both run at 175 at cruise. As Duane mentioned, the infrared gun is a good place to start and they can be purchased at any auto parts store for about $30. If the engine is actually running that cool I would think about a thermostat that is not closing all the way. Good luck.
Alan Hendry
Catbo
2006 34' Hull #81
75hp engines