Interior Carpets.

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the MV/32, MV/34, and MV/41.
Tom Green
skipper
skipper

Interior Carpets.

Post by Tom Green »

We have PDQ 34 MV#99

We made some interior carpets to cover the floorboards and have used them for several years to protect the veneer on the floor boards and to keep the interior cleaner. They were made out of cheap bathroom carpet that we cut to fit and banded ourselves. The thin rubber backing finally begin to disintegrate after several washings and we just replaced them.

The new carpets came from Corinthian Marine. They were made from templates that we made of all the interior floor areas (head, sleeping compartments, entry area, midship walkway, port galley way, starboard headway and under the pedestal table). The carpet is a nice Berber with a soft rubber marine backing and Sunbrella band sewn around the edge. They fit perfectly.

For any who are interested in such carpets for their boats, I would highly recommend Corinthian Marine as a source. They have locations in Portland Oregon and somewhere in Georgia. The end product to us is was excellent and the cost reasonable. The entire process was done over the phone and on line. The service staff were extremely nice, knowledgable and efficient. There was one mixup that being the failure to make a slit in the carpet under the pedestal table. This was rectified immediately and to our satisfaction - excellent customer service.

The carpets are nice looking to us. They are stable and comfortable to walk on. They can be vacuumed or easily picked up and taken out for cleaning.
The thickness of the Berber is just greater than the space under the edge of the fold down table in the entry area. At this point I haven't felt it necessary to shorten the table which I would do at the hinge end.

Again, for anyone who would like such carpets in their boats, I would strongly consider working with Corinthian Marine. They were great to us. I would think our templates could be used for the same model PDQ 34 MV.

Their link is www.Coringthian-marine-carpet.com.

Tom
Tom & Nanci Green
Diastole
MV3499
jbrad
skipper
skipper

Re: Interior Carpets.

Post by jbrad »

Hi Tom,

We have been thinking of adding carpets. Any chance you could post or send some pictures of your installation? My bride would like to see the finished product before we order.

Thanks,

Jimmy Bradley
Mr Busy
MV059
MR BUSY
thinwater
admiral
admiral

Post by thinwater »

https://www.corinthian-marine-carpet.com/

Looks nice. I've been happy with trimmed runners (thinner is better) from Home Depot and replacing every 5 years, but this is much better.
Writing full time since 2014.
"Rigging Modern Anchors,"Seaworthy Press, https://www.amazon.com/Rigging-Modern-A ... 1948494078
Book Store. http://sail-delmarva.blogspot.com/2017/ ... store.html
Tom Green
skipper
skipper

Post by Tom Green »

We were happy with the thinner cheap carpet as well but are very pleased with the new ones. There is thinner carpet available from Corinthian. The exact fit from the templates is very nice as well.

Jim, please contact me at tomortho@aol.com and I'll be glad to send you some pictures. I don't know how to submit them here. (EDIT by Phenix: pics added below)

Tom
Attachments
IMG_0539.JPG
IMG_0539.JPG (44.59 KiB) Viewed 193936 times
IMG_0538.JPG
IMG_0538.JPG (44.7 KiB) Viewed 193936 times
IMG_0537.JPG
IMG_0537.JPG (41.42 KiB) Viewed 193936 times
IMG_0536.JPG
IMG_0536.JPG (42.96 KiB) Viewed 193936 times
IMG_0532.JPG
IMG_0532.JPG (45.24 KiB) Viewed 193936 times
IMG_0531.JPG
IMG_0531.JPG (40.6 KiB) Viewed 193936 times
IMG_0530.JPG
IMG_0530.JPG (41.87 KiB) Viewed 193936 times
IMG_0529.JPG
IMG_0529.JPG (45.02 KiB) Viewed 193936 times
IMG_0528.JPG
IMG_0528.JPG (43.15 KiB) Viewed 193936 times
IMG_0527.JPG
IMG_0527.JPG (35.13 KiB) Viewed 193936 times
Tom & Nanci Green
Diastole
MV3499
Phenix-former-owner
Site Admin

Post by Phenix-former-owner »

I added the pictures of the carpets to the above post
--
MikeH
admiral
admiral

Post by MikeH »

Credit for this goes to Brian on Clementine, who saw this thread, and went with Corinthian Aquamat with the teak floor look, for interior flooring. Brian gave me the details on what he did.

Easy Riders has fiberglass flooring in the lower salon. It was hard to keep clean - little bits of dirt would get stuck on the texture / non-skid. And it just had the plastic look about it that I didn't like.

I ordered a Template Kit on Corinthian's website. The template material is tough rolled plastic. You mark and cut the template and send it back with the order form. They include a pre-paid Fedex label, and I re-used the box the template came in. Corinthian called about a week later to finalize details and price. It was $740, which included what you see, plus two door mats from the drops where the salon seats are.

When doing the template, triple-check that the template material is centered over the area. (Those who have worked with me know that i'm prone to lay-out errors, and this was no exception.) I rough cut the template and let it sit overnight. The next morning, I used blue painters' tape to secure the template in place. Then I traced the outline of final template with a black marker.

If you're using one of their teak patterns, you have to strike a line on the template with the orientation of the teak line, and I did not get this quite right. I struck the line parallel to the edge of the stands for the salon table. I should have used a big T-Square to strike it perpendicular to the steps going to the upper salon.

Then, I did the final cut-out with sharp scissors.

The Aquamat looks fantastic and really warms up the salon area. It feels good under the feet but took a little getting used to - the texture is different than the carpet.
Attachments
Corinth start.jpg
Corinth template.jpg
Corinth mat down.jpg
Corinth Finished.jpg
Mike Hendry
M/V Easy Riders, Gulfport FL
2003 PDQ MV 34
The Legendary Hull #29
75 HP, 3 Blade
AlanH
admiral