LP Gas Hose

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the MV/32, MV/34, and MV/41.
AMCarter3
admiral
admiral

LP Gas Hose

Post by AMCarter3 »

Has anyone run figured out how to run the LP gas hose for a BBQ from the propane locker on the flybridge back through the port side seat lockers to an outlet of some kind near the back railing on the flybridge?
Mac Carter
2006 34' PDQ PowerCat "All Heart"; MV 98; twin 100 HP Yanmars
Home Port: Bellingham WA 98229
Ortolan
skipper
skipper

Re: LP Gas Hose

Post by Ortolan »

If you have a rear T-top with a frame & brackets like ours, it's easy. I started at the propane locker with a vapor-tight bushing thru the back of the locker, then route over the partitions while protecting against abrasion. At the location of our T-top support, I drilled out from the rear locker. The hose is then is fastened along the SS tubing out & down to our grill.

Fortunately our grill works on low pressure propane, so it shares the main propane regulator & solenoid, thus only has flow when the solenoid is on. The hose connects directly to the grill.
Russ
Twin Sisters
PRIOR Owners of a 2006 MV34
www.esc-pod.com
AMCarter3
admiral
admiral

Post by AMCarter3 »

Russ,

Very interesting. I'd like to know more. First, what is a "T-top"? Second, could you send some pictures of the hose run and how it goes through the partitions?

Our BBQ is powered by one of our two propane tanks via a 12' flexible hose. It is independent of the solenoid switch that controls gas to the galley cooktop. So, I'm thinking it will be just a matter of running the hose from its tank in the locker next to the upper helm back to the locker under the aft seat on the port side of the flybridge. See the photos...
Attachments
Propane Locker 1.jpg
Propane Locker 2.jpg
Propane Outlet.jpg
Mac Carter
Ross Bowling
admiral
admiral

Post by Ross Bowling »

I ordered a propane hose for the BBQ out of the factory. We ended up with a leak in the hose, and scrapped the hose idea. However a new Magma BBQ mounted on the rail on the flybridge started me thinking. I ordered a smaller propane tank (equivalent to 10 +/- small green camp stove bottles) and keep it in the port side aft locker. I wanted to be sure any escaping gas would vent down. I pull the tank out of the locker, hook it up and away we ho. I have enough hose to reach the 2main bottles if the tank runs out and all is good.

rb
Ross Bowling
Ortolan
skipper
skipper

Post by Ortolan »

Mac,

We call our rear top our T-top & we have our grill mounted down by the davits so much of what I said doesn't apply to you ... but your job will be even easier!

From the propane locker I used a vapor-tite fitting (like PDQ used), then up & over the first partition, then a drilled hole (large enough for the fitting on the hose) thru the next partition (I also covered the hose with wire loom). Where you want the connection for your grill, the slickest way would be a pull-out hose (we had one on our last boat) which extends to your grill, then retracts back in with a cover.
Russ
Twin Sisters
www.esc-pod.com
John&Ria
admiral
admiral

Post by John&Ria »

Mac,

Our BBQ set up is configured very similar to the way you envision (the hose connection at the tank shares the main regulator and solenoid, but this is not an issue for you). I believe this was done at the factory for the original owner. I can take pictures of how the hose is routed, etc. the next time I visit the boat, however that won't be for about a week. Let me know if you're interested.

By the way, thanks for your step-by-step instructions for doing a re and re of the sliding window to replace a broken handle. I just did this and except for removal of the pin - which was a challenge to pull out - it worked very well.

John
AMCarter3
admiral
admiral

Post by AMCarter3 »

John & Ortolan (sorry, I don't know your first name),

It sounds like both of you did something close to what I would like to do with the LP hose. Please send pictures of how you installed the LP hose on your boat... particularly closeup shots of where and how you routed it thru the locker bulkheads.

And Ortolan... could you please clarify what the "vapor tight" fitting looks like or send a part # and source?

Thanks very much,
Mac
Mac Carter
John&Ria
admiral
admiral

Post by John&Ria »

Mac,

I was on my way to the boat today and took the following pictures. The first two pictures show the hose going through the aft bulkhead of the tank storage area and routed to the adjacent storage compartment at the rear, however I'm sure you could go from a hookup at the left tank directly through the left bulkhead if you wish.

Hopefully this gives you what you need, but let me know if you have any questions.

John
Attachments
DSC00458.JPG
DSC00457.JPG
DSC00455.JPG
DSC00460.JPG
DSC00461.JPG
DSC00451.JPG
DSC00462.JPG
AMCarter3
admiral
admiral

Post by AMCarter3 »

John, thanks very much. This is exactly what I was hoping for. What is that last fitting where the hose comes out thru the side locker wall right beside the BBQ? It looks like the external shower outlet on the port transom steps.

What is that protective tubing over the LP gas hose?
Mac Carter
John&Ria
admiral
admiral

Post by John&Ria »

Mac,

Good to hear the pictures were of help.

Yes, the last three show the front and back of the fitting, which is identical to what you have for the transom shower head.

As an aside, I have fashioned additional 'rings' out of starboard to cover the front of the fittings here and on the transom. I did this because the originals had deteriorated badly due to high UV exposure (mostly from when His Idea was in Florida and the Caribbean). This was cheaper and easier than replacing the fittings.

John
AMCarter3
admiral
admiral

Post by AMCarter3 »

Thanks again, John. This LP hose and the anchor chain will be two of my key Fall projects. Really appreciate the support. 8)
Mac Carter
Ortolan
skipper
skipper

Post by Ortolan »

Mac,

How John routed the gas line is exactly how I did it (although mine continues to near the davits where my grill is mounted).

To answer your other questions:

- To protect the gas line I used wire loom slipped over it.

- The fitting I used where the new gas line exits the propane tank enclosure is: A Morris #22554 1" Cable gland. Not essential, but only $6 from Amazon.

Good luck!

Russ
Russ
Twin Sisters
www.esc-pod.com
AMCarter3
admiral
admiral

Post by AMCarter3 »

Russ, thanks. Could you also send some pictures so I can see how you routed the hose?

Thanks!
Mac Carter
AMCarter3
admiral
admiral

Post by AMCarter3 »

FYI -- I completed this LP gas hose project. Thought some of you might be interested...

My goal was to replace the 15' stiff coil of LP hose used to supply propane gas to the BBQ grill on our flybridge. I got really good advice from a tech rep at Kumma regarding the low pressure propane valve needed at the BBQ Grill and excellent help piecing together the brass LP gas fittings to enable gas to flow from ONE LP tank to both the galley cooktop and the BBQ grill (with a shutoff valve for the BBQ hose). Attached are pics of the final result.
Attachments
8-IMG_4085.jpg
7-IMG_4097.jpg
6-IMG_4098.jpg
5-IMG_4096.jpg
4-IMG_4095.jpg
3-IMG_4093.jpg
2-IMG_4094.jpg
1-IMG_4091.jpg
Mac Carter
James Power
admiral
admiral

Post by James Power »

Looks good. Might add some split loom to the lpg hose from the deck gromet to the bbq control valve to protect it from the suns U.V.

James