Distribution Panel breaker for SSB

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the MV/32, MV/34, and MV/41.
Expatriate
admiral
admiral

Distribution Panel breaker for SSB

Post by Expatriate »

I am preparing to install my Single Side Band radio that I removed from my previous boat. On the old boat I had it wired to a 30 amp breaker, and I would like to do that again. There is only one 30 amp breaker on my panel. All the rest are 15 amps. The 30 amp breaker says "Fly Bridge Supply". I have only owned the boat 6 weeks. Anyone know what "Fly Bridge Supply" means? If it turns out to be non-critical, or that the devices it services do not need a 30 amp breaker, I will use it for the SSB. I can experiment and find out readily enough what is going on, but I am curious as to the thinking behind this arrangement.

Thanks,

Tim Denney
M/V068 Expatriate
duetto
admiral
admiral

Re: Distribution Panel breaker for SSB

Post by duetto »

hi,

we have an early boat so yours maybe different. on ours flybridge supply supplies all power to the flybridge which may or may not be mostly instruments. you can certainly add another breaker to the panel if you have a spare slot, it's just snaking the wire to where you need it.
john & diane cummings
duetto mv34 #23
Expatriate
admiral
admiral

Re: Distribution Panel breaker for SSB

Post by Expatriate »

Thanks. It seems odd that the fly bridge would need that much current. My fly bridge has just engine instruments, a chart plotter, and a depth sounder. Ten amps would probably cover it. I do not have a spare slot so I will move some things around. I rewired my last boat completely. It is a pain, but I know how to do it.