Transmission Maintenance Schedule

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the MV/32, MV/34, and MV/41.
AMCarter3
admiral
admiral

Transmission Maintenance Schedule

Postby AMCarter3 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:19 am

Does anyone have a schedule for routine maintenance on the ZFE-25 Transmission? I assume this transmission is on most of our PDQ boats. I have the ZF operating manual, so I understand what I'm supposed to do. What I don't see is a maintenance schedule like you would find in the Yanmar engine operating manual. Is there a routine schedule for changing the oil and filter?
Mac Carter
2006 34' PDQ PowerCat "All Heart"; MV 98
Bellingham WA

SecondWind
admiral
admiral

Re: Transmission Maintenance Schedule

Postby SecondWind » Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:13 am

According to ZF there is a reference plate on the transmission (page 2): https://www.zf.com/global/media/en_zf/l ... -ML_04.pdf
Terry Green
s/v Second Wind

duetto
admiral
admiral

Postby duetto » Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:24 am

hi,

we change oil and filter once a year.
john & diane cummings
duetto mv34 #23

AMCarter3
admiral
admiral

Postby AMCarter3 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:30 am

It's interesting... I've posed this question to a bunch of experienced power boaters with ZF or other brand transmissions and everyone gives essentially the same generic response - "I don't know of a schedule; we just change the oil every year along with the annual engine maintenance." And, no one sends the oil out to be tested. Seems odd to me.
Mac Carter
Bellingham WA

deising
admiral
admiral

Postby deising » Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:20 pm

I agree, Mac, that my attempts to find the same info have been unsuccessful. I change about every 500 hours or so. I have never sent the oil out either.
Duane Ising
m/v Diva Di
Punta Gorda, FL
2006 PDQ MV 34 - hull 91, 75HP, 3-blade

AMCarter3
admiral
admiral

Postby AMCarter3 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:44 pm

I met with our local diesel experts (Tri County) about this. First, it was interesting to hear them say they do not follow the ZF recommendation of changing the Trans oil every year. (Note that most of the power boaters I know do follow that schedule). Tri County changes the Trans oil every 2 years or 1000 hours. Second, they did said the metal mesh filter does not need to be changed. They said I "could remove it and clean it with solvent" IF I wanted to do so, but they said with this small ZF-25 transmission, that it isn't really necessary. Just making sure the oil level is correct is pretty much enough.

I changed the trans oil in both engines today... took 2.5 quarts each to fill them to the "max" line. I tried but could not budge the top of the filter holder. So, I skipped it and stopped worrying about it.
Mac Carter
Bellingham WA

John&Ria
skipper
skipper

Postby John&Ria » Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:06 am

Hi Mac,

We had the transmission fluid and filters replaced last year, and have been doing it about every 2 years since we purchased the boat. I believe the ZF manual I have says every 1000 hours.

I also heard from Tri-County when I purchased the parts in Bellingham (cheaper than in Vancouver) that it was not necessary to replace the filters unless damaged. Our mechanics in Vancouver, who we've been with for a long time, strongly recommended against this however. They say it's difficult to get them properly clean and not worth the risk.

Clearly there is some difference of expert opinion out there.

John

AMCarter3
admiral
admiral

Postby AMCarter3 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:12 am

Good to know, John. Thanks. I'm still "averaging" all the different points of view about the timing and whether or not to clean or replace the trans filter periodically. It's interesting that there such a range of views on this -- boaters, tech pros, and web chat forums such as <http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/archive/index.php/t-7375.html>.
Mac Carter
Bellingham WA

deising
admiral
admiral

Postby deising » Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:02 pm

Well, you can't get doctors and surgeons to agree on many things, either.
Duane Ising
m/v Diva Di
Punta Gorda, FL
2006 PDQ MV 34 - hull 91, 75HP, 3-blade

Return to “PDQ Powercat Forum”