$29 can safe you thousands $$$

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the MV/32, MV/34, and MV/41.
DickTuschick
skipper
skipper

$29 can safe you thousands $$$

Postby DickTuschick » Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:36 pm

I was recently moving a boat by myself and a small problem almost turned into a very big one.
The hose exiting from the heat exchanger to the exhaust elbow popped off while underway. Operating from the FB I had no idea this had happened.
The boat DID NOT HAVE A SMOKE /CARBON MONOXIDE DETECTOR....
Luckily this happened when I was only a few minutes from docking the boat. When I came off the FB to handle lines, I realized that the cabin was full of smoke....exhaust fumes. With out the water cooling going into the exhaust system it quickly overheated and melted allowing exhaust to enter into the cabin. The good news was that it was only a plastic muffler that had to be replaced but it could have been much worse.

The moral of this story......MAKE SURE YOU HAVE OPERATING SMOKE?CARBON MONOXIDE DETECTORS IN EACH HULL.........very cheap insurance.....

AMCarter3
admiral
admiral

Re: $29 can safe you thousands $$$

Postby AMCarter3 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 3:25 pm

Wow! Scary story, Dick. Glad it turned out OK for you. Any clue as to how or why the heat exchanger hose came loose?
Mac Carter
2006 34' PDQ PowerCat "All Heart"; MV 98
Bellingham WA

Allezcat
admiral
admiral

Postby Allezcat » Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:21 pm

Dick,
This is why I installed a raw water failure alarm on AllezCatII to alert if there is any loss of cooling to the exhaust system.
It is easy to install at minimal cost.
Borelmfg.com
Glad the outcome wasn’t worse!
Chet

AMCarter3
admiral
admiral

Postby AMCarter3 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:27 pm

Chet, could you share the details about your aw water failure alarm?
Mac Carter
2006 34' PDQ PowerCat "All Heart"; MV 98
Bellingham WA

Allezcat
admiral
admiral

Postby Allezcat » Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:13 pm

Mac,
Just go to borelmfg.com and read the commentary
I bought the dual alarm and called the factory to replace eng 1 and 2 with Port and Stb. on the warning panel
Installation just involves putting the supplied bands around the exhaust hoses downstream of the Elbows and running wires to the helm station. I put the panel at the lower helm but I think another panel at the upper helm would really be worthwhile after reading Dick's story
Chet

teamwork
skipper
skipper

Postby teamwork » Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:37 am

What manufacturers would you suggest? Lots on Amazon, all household.
Would like to know where you placed them. CO sinks, smoke rises??
Roger on Teamwork

AlanH
skipper
skipper

Postby AlanH » Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:59 pm

For anyone that has newer electronics (we recently had all new Raymarine installed) the exhaust temp and high bilge water alarm can be wired into the MFD's. We had it done for both sets of alarms. The only down side is the MFD's must be on to get an alarm but I was satisfied with that.

We also had the temperature, oil pressure and tachometers wired in. We had a tack fail one time underway and this eliminates that problem. We also have access to gauges at the upper station now. We can split page with them but I usually just switch pages periodically.

If anyone wants any details please let me know.

Alan
AlanH
Catbo
2006 34' Hull #81
75hp engines

Gusto
skipper
skipper

Postby Gusto » Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:42 pm

We also installed the Borelmfg.com bands on the exhaust tubes just downstream from the risers with the siren and engine indicator on the bridge panel. We hope this will alert us to the problem that Dick just had in time to shut down the appropriate engine before any damage occurs.

Bob MacNeill
Gusto MV34 #83

Return to “PDQ Powercat Forum”