Maitenance check?

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the MV/32, MV/34, and MV/41.
lgeller
1st mate
1st mate

Maitenance check?

Post by lgeller »

While finalizing the installation of the new engines on PLUSH TOY, my mechanic noticed that the hose feeding cooling water to the port shaft was very close to the waterline - he re-routed about 8" higher to prevent any water from flowing back into the engine. Not sure why the port side was lower, but it may be smart to take a look on your boat - it was an easy fix.

See photo attached.
PDQ Shaft.JPG
AMCarter3
admiral
admiral

Re: Maitenance check?

Post by AMCarter3 »

Interesting. Thanks. I will look at it.

Your picture reminded me of a question I have.. how many of you have your bilge pump GLUED vs. SCREWED to the floor in the back of the bilge area behind the engines? Mine were glued and both had broken loose. Our maintenance guy screwed one down.
Mac Carter
2006 34' PDQ PowerCat "All Heart"; MV 98; twin 100 HP Yanmars
Home Port: Bellingham WA 98229
AlanH
admiral
admiral

Post by AlanH »

My bilge pumps are glued in.
Alan Hendry
Catbo
2006 34' Hull #81
75hp engines
John&Ria
admiral
admiral

Post by John&Ria »

Mac, ours are glued also. I'm not sure I'd be comfortable screwing them to the the base of the hull.
James Power
admiral
admiral

Post by James Power »

Screwing down the bilge pump bases is a super big no no. The hull at that point is only about 1/4" thick. I would advise checking for leaks, repair the holes with epoxy if all dry, and gluing the bases down. Reasons for it coming loose in the first place are usually not enough sealant applied and contaminated glue surfaces. The hull and pump base should be abrades with 60 grit sandpaper and than cleaned off before gluing.

James
James Power
admiral
admiral

Post by James Power »

Larry,

The height above waterline routing of the hose feeding the shaft seals is not of much concern, as the other end of the hose should terminate at the vented loop which is well above water line.
With this said, there are a few boats where the shaft seal is fed from the hose attached to the aft end of the engine heat exchange which is closer to water line.

James
Ross Bowling
admiral
admiral

Post by Ross Bowling »

Mac-

If it were me, I would find a new maintenance guy!
Just saying....
Ross Bowling