OVEN ALTERNATIVE

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the MV/32, MV/34, and MV/41.
sailkane
skipper
skipper

OVEN ALTERNATIVE

Post by sailkane »

We miss not having an oven to cook.....any suggestions as to a countertop type or are you just using the microwave.
If you installed a microwave / convection oven how did you handle the heat of the oven in the original installation spot?
duetto
admiral
admiral

Re: OVEN ALTERNATIVE

Post by duetto »

hi,

i assume you have a 2005 or later boat (i.e. newer galley). if so, i think that you can fit a convection/microwave where the factory "oven" is. we have the earlier galley layout and wanted a convection/microwave but our oven location doesn't have sufficient depth. i believe the newer galley does.

btw, we've used a "small" toaster/convection oven and had very good results. my wife has made almost everything in it. in place of microwave, at least for veggies, we steam them on stove.
john & diane cummings
duetto mv34 #23
AlanH
admiral
admiral

Post by AlanH »

We have had our 2006 for 2.5 years and it had a 1.5 cubic foot LG convection oven when we got it. I believe it is original to the boat. I can't find a printing date on the owners manual but it the warranty does say it is a warranty for LG Canada. To the best of my knowledge the boat left Canada when built and has never been back. The instructions say it needs 2 inches or clearance all the way around witch it has. They also say it will shut itself off if it gets to hot. We have used it on convection without a problem.

Alan
Alan Hendry
Catbo
2006 34' Hull #81
75hp engines
deising
admiral
admiral

Post by deising »

We use the LG convection/microwave in convection mode once in a while, usually to make pizza or cobbler or something quick. I would not want to roast a turkey in there. With our use, the heat has not been a problem.

Don't leave the plastic splash cover in the oven while it preheats. It makes a little puddle of molten plastic on the bottom.
Duane Ising
m/v Diva Di
Punta Gorda, FL
2006 PDQ MV 34 - hull 91, 75HP, 3-blade
Expatriate
admiral
admiral

Post by Expatriate »

In our 2005, hull 68, we have a convection microwave. When we go to the Bahamas, we anchor out all the time. We have to run the gen set to use the oven. In addition we have had some difficulty adapting to the way it cooks. We have decided to go to a propane oven. There is an oven only unit from France called the ENO Perigord Gourmet Version. We have not ordered it or installed it, but the measurements tell me it will fit in the space of the convection oven. A friend has one on his sailing catermaran and likes it.

I will post with pictures when I get it installed.
Gusto
skipper
skipper

Post by Gusto »

We have the micro/convection oven on our 2006 PDQ34. I rarely use the oven as we anchor out a lot. The microwave is great for quick reheating and fast cooking. I would not remove the microwave. I have one large cast iron deep fry pan with lid. When I put this on my propane burner, add food and cover it becomes an oven and cooks really well. I use it almost every night for everything from chicken to seafood stew.
Sandy MacNeill/GUSTO
wrnole
deckhand
deckhand

Post by wrnole »

We have a 2003 with only a regular microwave, so we purchased a small toaster oven with wattage, features, size, etc to meet our needs. When not in use it is stored in the large cabinet in the port stateroom (which I dubbed "the root cellar.") In order to increase counter space, we adapted a folding tray (picture attached, I hope!) to cover the two-burner stove.

If the image is not attached, we simply screwed a thin piece of plywood to each of the longer sides of the tray. The plywood strips are wide enough for the underside to clear the burner grates and they keep the tray from slipping onto the galley floor.
This where the toaster oven sits when in use.

Jan Massey
"Soul Sauce"
Hull #24
Expatriate
admiral
admiral

Post by Expatriate »

Jan,

That is a pretty good solution. If I remove the convection microwave, and replace it with a propane oven, I have considered installing a very (very) small microwave oven on the counter top somewhere. Small enough to run on the inverter. It would probably have to live in a root cellar also.

Tim
duetto
admiral
admiral

Post by duetto »

i think the first factor to conside is whether it's an old galley or the newer layout. the newer one has far greater counter space.
john & diane cummings
duetto mv34 #23
Expatriate
admiral
admiral

Post by Expatriate »

John,

We have the 2005 with the new galley. There is more counter space, but still not a lot compared to some boats I have owned.

Tim
Iriemon
skipper
skipper

Post by Iriemon »

I've been looking into this issue as well, as our 32 Altair does not have an oven.

We do have a BBQ grill however, and there are a number of websites that say BBQ grills can work fine as ovens with the right technique, though I personally have not tried it yet.
Expatriate
admiral
admiral

Post by Expatriate »

I have baked on a grill, but only if it had two or more burners. I bake with one burner on and one off with the food on the "off" side. My boat grill only has one burner of course, but it does have an upper rack. I "baked" a pork tenderloin on the upper rack with good results, but had to reduce the time by about a third. A friend on an Endeavour cat bakes on the stove top using an Omnia stove top oven. She likes it, but everything comes out round. It appears o be best for coffee cake and similar items.

Tim
JSLExplores
deckhand
deckhand

Post by JSLExplores »

We use the microwave/convection oven all the time. When we had are RV we took a microwave/convection cooking class and that really opened our eyes as to how great these devices are. We've cooked full turkeys for Christmas, prime rib, breads and everything else. The highest setting is 450 F and the amount of heat discharged in not that noticeable.