ICW Northbound-newbie

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the MV/32, MV/34, and MV/41.
Speedo
deckhand
deckhand

ICW Northbound-newbie

Post by Speedo »

Hi everybody.
I am finally an owner of a PDQ 34. I have purchased hull #97.
The boat has new 110 hp Yanmars. It also has a new Northern lights generator.
I am currently heading up the ICW attempting to bring my “new” craft safely home on Eastern Long Island from Light House Point Fl.
Most of my research of the PDQ’s came from this board, and for that I thank-you all.
My first question to the board is for advise on the ICW trip. I believe several of the PDQ gang may have done this trip recently.
Should I take the Dismal swamp, or the Coinjock bay route. Jersey, in or out. Heading out across the open ocean to Long Island, what should I consider “too rough”
So far I have made it to Southport, NC. Where I have taken a short break to drive home for a family event. (1st half was not easy)
I’ll be back at the helm by Friday heading North.
I Thank-you in advance for any input offered.
Jim Earl
2006 PDQ 34 #97
Formally “Plush Toy”
New Name “WellDone38”
sailkane
skipper
skipper

Re: ICW Northbound-newbie

Post by sailkane »

I live on the south shore of Long Island and have made the trip many times. Coinjock faster than dismal swamp.
Norfolk VA. To Cape May ( or Atlantic City ) on the outside.
Then Cape May Home to Jones Beach inlet then inside to great South Bay.

We have done the Cape May to Jones Beach In 5-6 foot waves and 20 knots of wind and our PDQ 34 2005 was fine.
Ortolan
skipper
skipper

Post by Ortolan »

Jim,

Congrats on your PDQ purchase! We have done the same trip north to CT several times. I would agree to skip the Dismal Swamp if you just want to get north. The Dismal Swamp takes an extra day, between the locks & traveling in-line with sailboats at 6 knots.

Depending on weather & your schedule you could consider skipping the Chesapeake & Delaware & go offshore from Hampton to Cape May - if trying to get north quickly. It is about 148 NM, so easily doable with the 14 hours of daylight in spring. If you don’t have good weather and/or want to do the C&D, head up the Chesapeake.

We then wait at Cape May for a good window & go directly to Sandy Hook/Atlantic Highlands in about 115NM. Many go to Atlantic City or one of the other inlets, but if you have the weather, just go. We consider inlets the most risky part of cruising, so why do more of them then necessary? Even “good” inlets can be surprisingly challenging with contrary wind/tide, ocean swells breaking in the shallows, etc.

From what I have heard, going inside thru any of NJ is risky after Sandy - there is very little water except at high tide.

The following day we’ll head thru NYC, adjusting our departure for favorable current thru the Hell Gate.

Others may disagree, but these are only lightweight 34’ boats with low bridge deck clearance. You will learn the sea conditions comfortable for you. We have been in 8’ ocean swells from the stern which were fine, while going into a short 2’ chop loosened our teeth & knocked everything about. Sometimes slowing down will help - other times speeding up helps with a cross chop.

Have a great trip & let us know if you have any other questions!
Russ
Twin Sisters
PRIOR Owners of a 2006 MV34
www.esc-pod.com
deising
admiral
admiral

Post by deising »

I agree that the NJ ICW is not recommended. Even with our boats' shallow draft, it was challenging when we did it a few years ago, and it is very slow.

Good luck with your trip.
Duane Ising
m/v Diva Di
Punta Gorda, FL
2006 PDQ MV 34 - hull 91, 75HP, 3-blade
Speedo
deckhand
deckhand

Post by Speedo »

Thank-you for your input and for the quick replies. I will dismiss the Dismal Swamp route.
I’ll consider going outside at Hampton, but weather will be the deciding factor.
It seems everyone agrees that the Jersey ICW is not a good option, again I’ll watch the weather for my
run across the water to Long Island.
I hope in the future I’ll become one of the members giving advise, until then thank-you.
I need all the help I can get.
Jim Earl
2006 MV34. #97
duetto
admiral
admiral

Post by duetto »

if you get to cape may and are facing a few days of strong e-ne winds, going up inside nj is an option. we did it 6 times. at least you're moving rather than just sitting.
john & diane cummings
duetto mv34 #23
Corkboulder
deckhand
deckhand

Post by Corkboulder »

We just passed north out of the Dismal, currently lying High Street inlet, Portsmouth VA. If you’re at all apprehensive about the weather the Dismal is very protected and secure, but if time is a priority transit is very slow. I expect zero delivery captains take the Dismal, however for those who choose to meander it’s a good trip. (That said, on our way south we’re going through Coinjock.)
Kelly C
Bahama Voyager
MV32 #004
JSLExplores
deckhand
deckhand

Post by JSLExplores »

I did the Dismal swamp about a month ago... no problem. I wouldn't do it again because it was too boring.
Have fun with your PDQ 34. I love mine.
John
Capt Conn
deckhand
deckhand

Post by Capt Conn »

Well good evening newbie
I hope I will be forced to relieve you of that title shortly.
I will be surveying my first PDQ on Wednesday. If all goes as planned, should close on Thursday.
She Is the 32 located in ocean Isle. I hope to depart on Friday n bound to Coinjock.
Only Coinjock because that's our home port. If your back and ready, I would welcome to at least start your journey (or mine, depending on which wheelhouse your in)
I do have extensive experience on this portion of the ICW. Perhaps between the two of us, we can get them that 250 miles.
If unable to sail together, let me know if you need anything as you pass thru.
To all the rest, unfortunately ice destroyed my dock last winter, and are waiting on permits for a larger one. Once finished I will have space available.
Just no prime rib...
Capt Conn
deckhand
deckhand

Post by Capt Conn »

Well I'm new to this.
The admiral just informed me I'm a month late...
I'm sure you made out just fine
Thanks to all
Speedo
deckhand
deckhand

Post by Speedo »

Capt. Conn,
I did pass thru Coinjock the end of June. I made it safely home to Eastern Long Island.
Good luck with your new PDQ.
I found the ICW challenging, confusing, exilerating and terrifying.
It was an incredably educational trip.
Next time I cruise down I’ll look you up.
Thanks to all for your tips. I stayed on the “inside” until NJ, then made a run for LI.
All went well, except a really angry Chesapeake.
Jim Earl (speedo)