Bahamas cruising permit question...

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the MV/32, MV/34, and MV/41.
Wbr2974
1st mate
1st mate

Bahamas cruising permit question...

Post by Wbr2974 »

I have gotten conflicting reports regarding how long you may stay in the Bahamas while cruising.
A friend is coming from New Zealand and we will be heading over this winter. I am assured she does not need a visa
and is allowed a 3 month stay. For me a US citizen is states 8 months but is up to the discretion of the immigration officials
as to how long we can stay. I have been many times but never more than a few weeks so this was never an issue.
For those of you who have been on longer trips what has been your experience when you arrive at immigration?
Is there anything special needed to get an extension for longer than 3 months?
Thanks in advance.

Bill
2005 MV 34
Expatriate
admiral
admiral

Re: Bahamas cruising permit question...

Post by Expatriate »

Bill,

We have been to the Bahamas 6 times since we retired, five times in our sailboat and once in the PDQ 34. You and your boat can stay 6 months, but it is a little more complicated. We clear in at Bimini. Each year they give us 90 days, and we have to extend another 90 days about two weeks before our first 90 days runs out. For us George Town, Great Exuma is an easy place to take care of it. For a PDQ 34, the clear in fee is $150, cash. Make sure all of you paperwork is up to date: registration, passports, etc. A friend cleared in at Morgan's Bluff, Andros and got 280 days. There is no rhyme or reason to it.

Beware: if your passport is due to expire within the next 6 months, they will not let you clear in. We just had ours renewed by mail, and it was easy. So, double check that one.

In the Abacos, you would most likely clear in at West End, Grand Bahama. Then, if you have to extend, I'm sure Marsh Harbor would be no problem. Your friend from New Zealand should not present a problem. There are boaters from all over the world in the Bahamas in the winter. They are mostly Americans and Canadians, but we have met people completing their second circumnavigation, on their way back to England.

Tim
M/V 068 Expatriate
duetto
admiral
admiral

Post by duetto »

hi,

i actually thought the cruising permit applies to the boat. i believe that it is good for up to a year. afaik, all people need a visa. the problem that we've seen is that depending on officier on duty you may get anywhere from 30 days to 6 months. we have only cleared in at west end (really good), green turtle (very good), and marsh harbour (not so good). marsh harbour does do visa renewals at the government center which is about a mile from the government dock.
john & diane cummings
duetto mv34 #23
Expatriate
admiral
admiral

Post by Expatriate »

Duetto, you are correct. One year for the boat.