Webasto Water Tank

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the MV/32, MV/34, and MV/41.
AMCarter3
admiral
admiral

Webasto Water Tank

Post by AMCarter3 »

Does anyone know the capacity (gals.) of the red water tank that is heated by the Webasto diesel heater?
Attachments
_1050668.jpg
Mac Carter
2006 34' PDQ PowerCat "All Heart"; MV 98; twin 100 HP Yanmars
Home Port: Bellingham WA 98229
duetto
admiral
admiral

Re: Webasto Water Tank

Post by duetto »

yo mac! what are we looking at? from my 2003 perspective it looks like the international space station :)
john & diane cummings
duetto mv34 #23
AMCarter3
admiral
admiral

Post by AMCarter3 »

Hey John,

Right! All we need is some guy smiling and floating around in a spacesuit. Welcome to what a PDQ owner in the Pacific Northwest considers essential to survival... and my wife's happiness... aka, a WEBASTO hydronic diesel heating system (in the port bow locker). It works like a charm. It's a pretty install. Not sure who did it, but I suspect some very competent tech guy from Sure Marine in Seattle. It's been on the boat since who knows... 2006?
Mac Carter
AlanH
admiral
admiral

Post by AlanH »

Mac,

I am with John, there is nothing like that on my 2006. I am assuming someone wanted to have an unlimited supply of hot water at anchor without running the generator when they had that one installed on your boat. Is that hot water only or does it provide heat also? Either way, the prior owner probably paid dearly for that thing.

Alan
Alan Hendry
Catbo
2006 34' Hull #81
75hp engines
AMCarter3
admiral
admiral

Post by AMCarter3 »

Guys, bear in mind our PDQ is home based in Bellingham, WA -- the Pacific Northwest. We're the last city before you cross the border into Vancouver, BC. It's a lot cooler and wetter here than where you guys live. We need heat and hot water. You'll laugh when I tell you people here think its a major heat wave when the temp gets all the up to 80º... really, they almost pass out.

The Webasto system provides hydronic heating throughout the boat in 4 zones regulated by individual thermostats (salon, 2 berths and head). It's effective and used every day in the off season and sometimes on cool days during the summer. We just discovered it can also heat fresh water when the boat is at anchor (stored in that red tank).

The reason we have never experienced hot water from this Webasto system at anchor is, as we learned, because the AFT hot water tank has first priority in the water system. The Webasto must have been added as an option AFTER the boat was built. To fit it into the the existing water lines, they connected the hot water output from the Webasto tank directly TO the inlet on the AFT water tank. So, to get hot water from the Webasto system, we would need to use (or waste) the 6 gals of cold water in the AFT tank first. We never did that, so we never got to the hot water in the Webasto tank. Crazy, right?

We are now in the process of adding a motorized bypass valve with a switch in the galley so you can choose to access either tank.
Mac Carter
AlanH
admiral
admiral

Post by AlanH »

Mac,

Got it. I am sure it is a great system to have out there and I like the idea of the separate zones. By the way, when it drops below 80 I grab a jacket.

Alan
Alan Hendry
Catbo
2006 34' Hull #81
75hp engines
AMCarter3
admiral
admiral

Post by AMCarter3 »

A weather wimp, eh?😎😜
Mac Carter
AlanH
admiral
admiral

Post by AlanH »

I am a cool or cold weather wimp but I can take all the heat mother nature can throw at me.
Alan Hendry
Catbo
2006 34' Hull #81
75hp engines