Our PDQ Enhancements blog page

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the MV/32, MV/34, and MV/41.
Ortolan
skipper
skipper

Our PDQ Enhancements blog page

Post by Ortolan »

I finally got around to making a page on our blog with enhancements we've made to our PDQ 34: https://esc-pod.com/pdq-34-upgrades-modifications/

Some of these may give new PDQ owners ideas & some might have been "borrowed" from you!

There is also a sub-page with improvements we've made to our Nova Kool fridge/freezer - It now works perfectly & maintains temperature within just a few degrees.
Russ
Twin Sisters
PRIOR Owners of a 2006 MV34
www.esc-pod.com
duetto
admiral
admiral

Re: Our PDQ Enhancements blog page

Post by duetto »

this is great!
john & diane cummings
duetto mv34 #23
AMCarter3
admiral
admiral

Post by AMCarter3 »

Nice blog, Russ. We have the same year PDQ and have also made a bunch of "enhancements"... but don't have a blog. I tend to share some of them here. Maybe a blog like yours some day.
Mac Carter
2006 34' PDQ PowerCat "All Heart"; MV 98; twin 100 HP Yanmars
Home Port: Bellingham WA 98229
deising
admiral
admiral

Post by deising »

Wow, Russ, that is a great, well-written list of enhancements. Thank you so much for sharing all that.

I only have two comments:
1. The rear hatches are designed as emergency egress points, so hopefully the added rain covers will break off if the hatches need to be fully opened for that unlikely event.

2. Our fridge defrost procedure is a little different. We shut off the fridge/freezer and leave the door closed for about 90 minutes. The food stays cold, but the evaporator plate is no longer below freezing temperature, so the frost turns to soft mush. We remove the stuff on the top shelf, move the plastic drip tray to the top shelf and use a plastic spatula to scrape the mush off onto the tray. With fingers, I get as much of the frost off as I can (takes another 30 seconds) and then use a hair dryer for maybe 2 minutes. There is frost on top of the evaporator plate that should be removed and that requires the hair dryer. Remove, drain, and dry the tray. Use a towel to wipe as much moisture as you can off the interior and then reinstall the tray. Turn on the unit and you are done.

One source of the frost that some folks don't realize is from the contents of the fridge. Don't put unsealed liquids (like an open soda can) or even half-sliced tomatoes inside unless tightly covered. All that moisture just winds up as extra frost.
Duane Ising
m/v Diva Di
Punta Gorda, FL
2006 PDQ MV 34 - hull 91, 75HP, 3-blade