Engine Raw water intake strainer

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the MV/32, MV/34, and MV/41.
sailkane
skipper
skipper

Engine Raw water intake strainer

Post by sailkane »

So my 2005 has the raw water intake strainer mounted reverse and a section cut out on the forward section.
Why? If mounted as the manufacturer says the water would be forced into the raw water thru hull increasing water flow to the engine....any ideas why the manufacturers did this? I have seen this on all the powercats by PDQ.
I ask because of the forward cut out I get large amounts of eel grass during the summer causing the strainer to clog.
duetto
admiral
admiral

Re: Engine Raw water intake strainer

Post by duetto »

i assume that you're talking about the cover on the outside of the hull. if you mount the cover with the slots facing aft you can get a vacuum created behind the solid portion and cut down on the flow to the engines. the cutout is probably intended to reduce the chance of a vacuum.
john & diane cummings
duetto mv34 #23
AMCarter3
admiral
admiral

Post by AMCarter3 »

Our 2006 PDQ operates in the Pacific Northwest. We encounter lots of eel grass and kelp. We seldom get even small bits in our raw water strainer. I know some other boats (sail & power) that consistently capture a lot. I do not know why.
Mac Carter
2006 34' PDQ PowerCat "All Heart"; MV 98; twin 100 HP Yanmars
Home Port: Bellingham WA 98229
deising
admiral
admiral

Post by deising »

I think another consideration is if you need (or choose) to be moving with only one engine running. You don't want the motion through the water to push enough water in to fill the water-lift muffler and possibly flood the engine. So, the idea of facing the strainer to act as a "ram" may not be good.
Duane Ising
m/v Diva Di
Punta Gorda, FL
2006 PDQ MV 34 - hull 91, 75HP, 3-blade