Port Tachometer and hour meter not working.

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the MV/32, MV/34, and MV/41.
Wbr2974
1st mate
1st mate

Port Tachometer and hour meter not working.

Post by Wbr2974 »

This weekend while using the boat my tach stopped reading. I also checked and the hours meter not moving either.
Starboard side is fine. Has anyone else had a problem like this? I searched the forums but only see flybridge tach problems but mine are not working at either station. Is the tach sensor on the alternator? I’m supposed to be heading to the Bahamas as soon as a weather window opens but obviously I need this fixed. Also my inverter now only working off shore power or generator but that will be in another post.
Any thoughts?.
Thanks
Bill

MV 34
2005 075
75 hp
AlanH
admiral
admiral

Re: Port Tachometer and hour meter not working.

Post by AlanH »

Bill,

The tach sensor reads the flywheel. It is mounted in the bellhousing just under the turbocharger. I think I would check the connection there first. Have someone watch the tach while you jiggle the wires.

When it comes to the hour meters, neither of mine work on the flybridge. The ones on the lower helm work most of the time but are occasionally intermittent. My understanding is the problem is with the tach's and it is caused by a corrosion issue. I have read they continue to add up the hours, it is just the display that doesn't work. I am not sure what good it does you if the data is there but you can't read it. If they are intermittent you should be getting an accurate number when the display is working.

Good luck.
Alan Hendry
Catbo
2006 34' Hull #81
75hp engines
AMCarter3
admiral
admiral

Post by AMCarter3 »

My lower tachs show hours and work fine. My upper tachs only show RPM's with occasional flickers of hours data. Has anyone had success applying anti-corrosion fluid to the wire connection at the back of the upper tachs?
Mac Carter
2006 34' PDQ PowerCat "All Heart"; MV 98; twin 100 HP Yanmars
Home Port: Bellingham WA 98229
Expatriate
admiral
admiral

Post by Expatriate »

My port tachometer dies occasionally. Both lower and upper helm tacks on the port side fail at the same time. I found that it was the electrical connection on the flywheel sender. I pulled it off and on several times. Could not get in there with WD40. It is hard to get to. We have been in the Bahamas for three months. We run the engines more often than we do in the states because we store the boat in the summer. It seems that running the engines more often keeps the contact at the flywheel sensor in better shape. Maybe the heat and vibration shakes/bakes the corosion off ... Anyway no failures down here, just at home with little usage.

I would be happy to replace all of the gages on the boat. Last summer I put temperature and oil pressure gages on the upper helm. They are Stewart Warner not VDO. I have not had good luck with VDO over the years. I would also like a tachometer that takes it's feed off of the alternator. Much easier to get to. My current problem is that the port ignition switch is intermittent. The wiring diagram showed me how to hot wire the ignition. Very simple just annoying, and a little dangerous in an emergency because it takes a few minutes. Honestly, we do not need ignition switches like a car. A simple off/on/intermittent toggle switch would work. Cheap and replaceable.

Sorry to whine!

Tim
M/V 068
Wbr2974
1st mate
1st mate

Post by Wbr2974 »

Thanks for the replies,

I’m really struggling with this. I know what I’m supposed to be looking for back there but my hands don’t even fit by the flywheel to check the connections. Seems like taking the turbo off would make it easier?
I suppose it’s not the end of the world if I can’t get it running. I don’t think I’ll let it stop me from going to the Bahamas
if I can’t get it fixed..
so Tim how are the Bahamas about now? Looking to be in the Abacos as soon as there’s a good time to go.

Thanks
Bill
Wbr2974
1st mate
1st mate

Post by Wbr2974 »

Port Tach update....

So I was finally able to get in there and disconnect the sensor. Both female ends are corroded so I sprayed a little WD 40
Reconnected them and port tach is back up and running.. For now.
I’m sure this problem will reoccur sometime soon and will definitely need to remove some things to get to the wires and splice new female connectors but that is for another time..
Once again thanks to the forum for setting me in the right direction.
Now if this wind will just lay down I can be on my way..

Bill

MV34 075
Chateaux
James Power
admiral
admiral

Post by James Power »

If the tach sender connections are corroded have a look for a salt water leak in the area. Possibly the exhaust elbow or a loose hose clamp

James
Expatriate
admiral
admiral

Post by Expatriate »

Bill,

Bit of a tropical wave passing just now. We are waiting in Staniel Cay for things to dry out so we can make our way back. If it is your first time, take plenty of spare parts. The Abacos are fine this time of year. Avoid the winter months. Go further south.

Tim