Water in engines

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the MV/32, MV/34, and MV/41.
Speedo
deckhand
deckhand

Water in engines

Post by Speedo »

Hello everyone,
I had seemingly unique problem last week. After a 60 mile run I backed into my slip and shut down my engines.(repowered 110 Yanmars)
The nex morning before starting I found the engine flooded with seawater. I pumped out the water / oil, and called a Yanmar mechanic.
He responded quickly, removed injectors, pumped out remaining water and started the engine. He believes no long lasting damage was done because it was removed so quickly. I’m trying to figure out why this happened. It appears some sort of siphon occurred and pulled water from the muffler and hose backed into the engine.
Any ideas and / or thoughts will be appreciated.
Thanks,
Jim Earl
Well Done 38
2006 PDQ 97
Cat Daddy
1st mate
1st mate

Re: Water in engines

Post by Cat Daddy »

I have been down this road a few times. Running on one engine and not closing the seacock will cause this. The next probable cause would be a blocked "piddle" tube. It runs from the vented loop (behind a cabinet in the cabin, follow the 1" water hose from the exhaust elbow) to a small fitting through the outboard hull (earlier boats went to inboard). This hose must run downhill from the vented loop to the discharge fitting, any low or high spots will create a trap and could cause a siphon. Also plugging up from insects is possible.

The good news is the Yanmar is a solid engine. I concur with your mechanic, I doubt this would cause any future issues.

Good luck,

Rafe
Rafe Williams
"Cat Daddy"
MV34 #32
Speedo
deckhand
deckhand

Post by Speedo »

Thanks for such a quick reply. My “piddle” tube is clear, at least is shows water flow when the engine is running. I will check it to see if it is partially clogged. My one thought, it’s possible that my outboard fender pressed against the outlet and the dock, in effect sealing the line and allowing a siphon. It would only take a short while after shutting down the engines. I have moved my fenders accordingly.
Thank you
Jim Earl
Well Done 38
2006 PDQ 97
AMCarter3
admiral
admiral

Post by AMCarter3 »

Jim, I’m unclear about what happened. Did your engine compartment “fill” with salt water? Like to the point where it spilled over into the berth area? Or did salt water fill your your engine? (Meaning salt water got inside the engine?)
Mac Carter
2006 34' PDQ PowerCat "All Heart"; MV 98; twin 100 HP Yanmars
Home Port: Bellingham WA 98229
Speedo
deckhand
deckhand

Post by Speedo »

Somehow water entered the engine, not the engine compartment. Apparently due to some kind of siphon pulling water in through the exhaust. I had noticed for a few days that my raw water strainer was full to the top. I did not understand the implication of that clue at the time. Still trying to figure out why this happened. I’m wondering if this has happened to anyone else and what the outcome was.
Thanks again
Jim Earl
Well Done 38
2006 PDQ 97
New 110 hp Yanmar engines
AMCarter3
admiral
admiral

Post by AMCarter3 »

I don't relate to the "symptom" of your raw water strainer filled to the top. Mine is always filled to the top and I don't ever have salt water in my engine. I just don't understand this report yet.
Mac Carter
Speedo
deckhand
deckhand

Post by Speedo »

Was not sure if the the “full” raw water strain container has anything to do with this issue. But my starboard engine strainer is not “full”. It bubbles up water when running and it drains down when shut down.
Still working with the mechanic to get to the bottom the cause.
Thanks
Jim Earl
Well Done 38
2006 PDQ 97
Twin 110 Yanmars (repowered)
AMCarter3
admiral
admiral

Post by AMCarter3 »

Got it, Jim. Good luck on the investigation. Please keep us informed.
Mac Carter
Speedo
deckhand
deckhand

Re: Water in engines-update

Post by Speedo »

Hi everyone,
After careful investigation with my mechanic, my water problem was a freak result of a misplaced fender.
While away for the weekend, I repositioned my fenders for my stay as a transient.
When I returned to my home port, the newly repositioned fender was very close to the “piddle” hole on my port side.
The boat was backed into its berth and securely tied up. The fender was wedged between the boat and the dock.It seems the fender sealed the “piddle” hole and allowed a siphon to pull water out of the hose and muffler into my engine. It was dealt with quickly with no lasting damage( other than my pride and wallet).
So my advise to all is to be very careful where the fenders lie in relation to the siphon-break hole on each hull.
I hope this advise prevents this from happening to anyone else in the future, forewarned is forearmed.

Jim Earl
Well Done 38
2006 PDQ 97
Twin Yanmar 110’s (repowered)
deising
admiral
admiral

Post by deising »

Glad for the final report. Nice of you to give us the rest of the story.
Duane Ising
m/v Diva Di
Punta Gorda, FL
2006 PDQ MV 34 - hull 91, 75HP, 3-blade
AMCarter3
admiral
admiral

Post by AMCarter3 »

Jim, that is an amazing story. Thanks very much for sharing it. We will definitely be more thoughtful about docking fender placement.
Mac Carter