stuffing box lock nut

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the MV/32, MV/34, and MV/41.
Lyons Pride
1st mate
1st mate

stuffing box lock nut

Post by Lyons Pride »

has anyone had any problem freeing up the lock nut on the stuffing box to make adjustments? Mine seems to be frozen on pretty tight. Any guidance in this area would appreciated.....or maybe I should just leave it alone?....
duetto
admiral
admiral

Re: stuffing box lock nut

Post by duetto »

hi,

are you asking about the propeller shaft or rudder shaft? is it leaking? if so, you want to adjust.

if it's the rudder, you'll need 2 wrenches and be able to slide back in there (at least on the port side). as i recall the lock nut is on the bottom, so hold the top nut and try and turn the bottom. i'd start with a liberal dose of pb blaster and let sit for a day.

if it's the propshaft i can't comment since we have dripless seals.
john & diane cummings
duetto mv34 #23
deising
admiral
admiral

Post by deising »

This is one of those dilemmas you come across all too often. Our rudder packing glands have never weeped a drop in 5 years that we could see, so no need to adjust. On the other hand, I would not be surprised that by never moving those components, they are slowly "welding" themselves together. If the time ever comes I need to adjust them, it might be a major problem.

If they were somewhat easy to reach, I would "exercise" the nuts on their threads annually, but they are not so they sit untouched.
Duane Ising
m/v Diva Di
Punta Gorda, FL
2006 PDQ MV 34 - hull 91, 75HP, 3-blade
Lyons Pride
1st mate
1st mate

Post by Lyons Pride »

The stuffing box for the prop shaft is what I was referring to. Just want to slow the drip a bit. The lock nut is on there pretty tight so as to loosen it so I can tighten it a bit. I want to put off repacking them with new cord until I pull her out in the winter for a bottom job. I know they need to be adjusted periodically
duetto
admiral
admiral

Post by duetto »

i think my steps mentioned above still apply. you need to get 2 substantial wrenches which allow enough throw. soak the nuts with pb blaster and tap with a hammer periodically.

on another note, what hull number do you have?
john & diane cummings
duetto mv34 #23
Lyons Pride
1st mate
1st mate

Post by Lyons Pride »

hull number 20.....now that was a long wait on that response.....lol
MikeH
admiral
admiral

Post by MikeH »

Hi All - thanks for your posts ! I'm the new owner of Easy Riders, #29. I have a small drip on the stbd rudder stuffing box. After lubricating, would you suggest I hold the lock-nut and tighten the adjusting nut ... or, back the lock-nut off a little first (turning clockwise?)?

The rusty blob in the photo looks like what's left of a retaining bolt.

Thanks !
Attachments
Stdb 2.jpg
Stbd.jpg
Mike Hendry
M/V Easy Riders, Gulfport FL
2003 PDQ MV 34
The Legendary Hull #29
75 HP, 3 Blade
duetto
admiral
admiral

Post by duetto »

hi,

i think you have our friends bill & fran's boat. congratulations.

i'm pretty sure all the nuts are normal thread. i would lube the thread, loosen the locknut, and then tighten the packing nut, re-tighten the locknut.
john & diane cummings
duetto mv34 #23
MikeH
admiral
admiral

Post by MikeH »

Thanks John !

I appreciate the info, and all of your posts on the Forum. Easy Riders is Bill and Fran's boat, although I haven't had the opportunity to meet them yet. Their broker in Stuart, Bill Watson, is a great guy, and helped me out with a lot of technical details on the PDQ.

Everything went well on the adjustment (Starboard rudder stuffing box). The nuts are 2-1/4 inch. I started a couple of days ahead on the penetrating oil and the tapping. The locknut freed up fairly easily -(they are standard threads). The adjusting nut took some more work, and I ended up using more turning pressure that I would have liked to. About a quarter turn stopped the drip, and she's been dry since.
Mike Hendry
M/V Easy Riders, Gulfport FL
2003 PDQ MV 34
The Legendary Hull #29
75 HP, 3 Blade